Hello, and HELP!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By lumene
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello, and HELP!!!

Hi,
I am Sarah. And I am about to become a slightly unwilling but dedicated hedgie parent (see below).

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 23 years old, Canadian. I am a slave to 20(ish) snakes, 7 tarantulas, 6 geckos, 2 cats, a senior ferret who refuses to die, and a pacman frog. I think I got everybody. :P Oh, and I breed my own bugs...

I am about to inherit my uncle's new fiancee's sons' 2ish year old 'female' hedgie. I found out today...Cause my guys don't keep me busy enough.. Don't worry, I'm not complaining, just never had a hedgie before and was hoping my ferret would pass before that came to be.

Krystal, the pet store hedgie, is currently living in a 30 gallon tank, on my uncle's deck, being fed a strict kibble cat food diet, Whiskas or Purina I think. I didn't want to ask but I know their pet feeding habits. Has never had bugs. Has never really been out to roam, and when I held her was making loud clicking, and rasping sounds (on top of being balled up), I don't know how much of that was fear/intimidation, or if it could be RI? This is uncharted territory for me. I need an experienced hedgie person!!!! Please?! And really good juju's.

I will be an information sponge, and am currently losing sleep planning what I can do with my very basic rudimentary knowledge of these little muffins. My goals are to slowly introduce quiet human contact, new foods (my animals don't eat kibble! Sorry, I'm a raw/holistic feeder). And I have a 4'x6' 'room' in my landlords basement that I can transform into a nice cozy little hedge haven. I really like natural setups/stimulation for my creatures.

Please guide me! My new aunt-to-be called her flea-ridden and vermin at dinner, which is why I had to shut her up. I'm used to taking in unwanted pets, this is just a first for me species wise.

Thanks for reading.
CoffeeKat and kuroneko like this.
lumene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh jeeze. I'm so glad you're going to be taking this little one in, it sounds like she needs you. Thank you for finding room for her in your mini zoo!!

Her sounds are more from fear, but if she doesn't have any heating, she could very well have a URI too. I would definitely schedule a vet visit for sometime in the first week or two you have her, just to get her checked out & have your vet get acquainted with her.

I would also make sure she has a heating set up ASAP, since that's usually something that gets neglected & is a must. A wheel is also important if she doesn't have one. There's a lot of information in the Nutrition forum regarding good kibbles to switch her to, and there's a thread dedicated to raw/natural diets as well if you want to check that out. Give her a week or two to settle in before you change her food, and when you do, make sure you go slowly & change over 2-4 weeks. She may force a quick-change on her own, if she likes the new food better than whatever crappy food she's eating, which is fine. You may see some green poop, but it'll clear up. The important thing is not having her go on eating strike by doing a quick change, so as long as she does it herself, it's fine.

Lastly, welcome to the forum! Definitely check out the stickies & such on here, there's a lot of information in them. There's also a search bar you can use to find more threads on a subject. If you still can't find what you need, feel free to ask! Here's a great care book I'd definitely recommend downloading as well, it's free - http://westcoasthedgehogs.com/files/...ook/index.html Lots of information in it! Good luck and let us know how your new little one does with settling in.
CoffeeKat and kuroneko like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in