She's home!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CashmereSkeleton

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking She's home!!

We were finally able to bring Erin home yesterday.

I decided last minute to have her cage off the floor, so I ordered some more C&C grids from Amazon which were delivered midday yesterday, only a few hours before we were due to go and get her. We built the stand easily enough but then had to attach it to the already built cage which was kind of a pain but we managed it. But when I went to switch the CHE's back on, one of them wasn't working

I was so frustrated because I don't know about other places but where I live, a CHE isn't something you find in any old shop. I had to Google local pet shops and luckily found a reptile shop which had some in stock.

When we got to the breeders house and I was just so nervous! I think I feel more nervous than excited at the moment about having this tiny little life to take care of. I just keep thinking I'm going to do something wrong

We took her in a taxi home and the driver just kept asking all these questions. He almost crashed when I told him she cost 150. He was so interested in her. When we stopped I let him see her snuggled in her carrier and when he went to touch her she huffed and he jumped about a foot in the air He was a big beefy bloke as well and it made me laugh to see a tiny little ball of spikes scare a man of his size.

She did well in the taxi. We were in it for maybe about 15/20 minutes and she wasn't sick or anything. She did do a massive poop though.

We put her straight into her cage with her blanket that smells like mum and I replaced the CHE, gave her some food and water and left her alone for a bit. When I went to check on her she hadn't moved and I wanted to make sure she ate something so I removed the igloo and just put her food bowl a bit closer. The breeder gave me some of the food she is used to and it had mealworms mixed in and I watched her eat all the mealies and leave most of the rest of it but at least she ate something.

It took all my self restraint not to go and check on her every 2 minutes but I did go back and she was out of the igloo and had been back at the food bowl again and was exploring a little bit. We have a dimmer switch in the room she is in and I had the light on really low so that I could see her, I'm not sure if she was bothered by that and was a bit more shy because of it. But generally she seems okay so far.

I checked on her again this morning and at first I thought she had somehow managed to get out, even though there is a roof on her cage and I even put weights on top but she was just snuggled in her blanket fast asleep. I did annoy her a bit because I wanted to make sure she was still alive! but she huffed so I think we're all good I'm looking forward to taking her out of the cage tonight and letting her explore a bit.

tl;dr: New hedgie owner is really nervous but hedgie seems to be settling in okay and likes mealworms
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg download_20141230_171135.jpeg (199.1 KB, 22 views)
Lilysmommy and Abbieshedgie like this.

CashmereSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yay! I am so happy for you. Sounds like you're doing a great job so far.
ashleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in