Soon-to-be Hedgie Mom, finally! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Soon-to-be Hedgie Mom, finally!

Hi everyone!

After wanting a hedgehog since I was 5 years old (I saw a special on them as pets as a child), I've finally got a little girl on reserve! I'm picking her up from the airport on Nov. 30th and I cannot wait!

I believe I am going to name her "Živi" which is Serbo-Croatian for "live." It could be the short version of "Živeli" which is the infinitive form which means "to live" and is used like how we use "cheers" when we clink glasses. I studied abroad in Croatia my freshmen year of college and loved it so much that I took the language for 3 semesters, which is how I came up with the name.

Here's a couple of pictures of her - love her mixed coloring! Does anyone know what her coloring would actually be called? I know she's a split face and maybe pinto, but I don't know a whole lot about color specifications!

So excited to join the community!
lfarndt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

OH MY GOD!! Your hedgie may be the cutest hedgehog I've ever seen (not including my baby obviously hehe but of course I'm biased). Zivi is so cool looking!! And she has mismatched ears like my hedgie!!

Definitely a splitfaced pinto. Not sure about the rest of the coloring so someone more experienced could probably help you out with that one.

I'm a senior in college and I just did a project about Croatia!! It seems like an amazing country. You are very lucky you were about to study abroad there.

Good luck with your new hedgie!!!
lfarndt likes this.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2001 View Post
OH MY GOD!! Your hedgie may be the cutest hedgehog I've ever seen (not including my baby obviously hehe but of course I'm biased). Zivi is so cool looking!! And she has mismatched ears like my hedgie!!

Definitely a splitfaced pinto. Not sure about the rest of the coloring so someone more experienced could probably help you out with that one.

I'm a senior in college and I just did a project about Croatia!! It seems like an amazing country. You are very lucky you were about to study abroad there.

Good luck with your new hedgie!!!
Thank you, sc2001! From what I can see in your picture - your little hedge looks super cute as well! I absolutely love the mismatched ears - it's one of the things that drew me to her, such a cute/odd marking. Thanks for the input on the coloring too!

I absolutely love Croatia when I was there. I studied in Rovinj on the Istrian peninsula & it was such a beautiful town/city. I would highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to visit there!
sc2001 likes this.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi there welcome aboard and congrats!
lfarndt likes this.

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Omg congrats, she's such a cutie! Her coloring is so pretty!
lfarndt likes this.

xorenaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

So adorable!!!!!!! <3 You're one lucky momma. She is a beautiful little girl.
lfarndt likes this.
MistyDay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

WHAT A LITTLE ANGEL!! AHH! Good luck and congrats!
lfarndt likes this.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

wow she's so cute.

from the looks of her the white markings at the back is more than 60% of the black markings so I think its a "tobiano" markings, the higher the white interest the more perfectly of the "Tobiano Pinto"plus the spit face which is again very rare.

congrats.
lfarndt likes this.

Last edited by knlght; 11-12-2014 at 06:38 PM.
knlght is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, everybody! I'm so excited to get her - I keep talking about her to anyone who will listen. Thanks, knlght for the color info too - I'd never heard of "Tobiano Pinto" before.
ashleyyy likes this.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Smile Update on my little Živi

Here's an update on my little Živi, with new pictures!

It was quite the ordeal to get her from the airport in Milwaukee, WI on 11/30. She came from Miami and had a connecting flight - well… the first flight was delayed a few hours so she missed her connection. (Everyone I tell this story to laughs, a hedgehog missing a flight? haha!) However, at the time it was scary because I had never flown an animal before and with hedgehog temperature concerns I was scared she was going to get left somewhere. It all turned out just fine though. Her flight was rescheduled 3 times because of the problems with the first plan. Luckily, the PetSafe flight program through United kept both me and the breeder (Top Notch Hedgehogs) updated well, so I only freaked out for a little while. Janine, the breeder, also updated me as well as she didn't know that the company was calling me as well.

Finally, after the flight was pushed back twice and then ended up making the semi-earlier flight, my hedgie was scheduled make it to Milwaukee at 6:08 pm (originally scheduled for 5:34pm, I think) so it didn't make THAT much of a difference, luckily. Once we got to the airport, it was SO easy. Everyone was so friendly and the women at the United claim desk was awesome. Someone actually carried Živi to the desk (in her carrier) - it was so cute! From the moment I saw her she didn't ball up or anything, which I was extremely surprised with. Even when I got her home, she didn't ball up at all. The first picture collage is the first hour I had her home.

The other pictures are newer and newer. She's such a sweet little baby and is growing like a weed! She's probably nearly doubled in size since I first got her at about 9 weeks old or so. She loves her wheel (from Carolina Storm Hedgehogs) and runs on it like crazy every night. She also seems to really like sleeping on me as I'm doing homework or watching TV. The pictures with the green background are her in her snuggle sack. She is the biggest baby as soon as she's been in it for a while and will often completely flip onto her back to allow for adequate access for tummy rubs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (188.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (187.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (209.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (107.2 KB, 17 views)
Akells23 and Abbieshedgie like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in