I can't Pick up my hedgehog up - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I can't Pick up my hedgehog up

My hedgehog bites and won't let go when i Pick him up. i tried the rubbing alkohol, and the blowing, but he jeeps doing it. No warnings no nothing just out of the blue.
Stifflers mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How long have you had your hedgehog? Do you wash your hands before you pick him up? Is he a very huffy & defensive hedgehog, or does he act pretty relaxed and happy in general other than when he bites?

Hedgehogs bite for numerous reasons, so it's important to try & narrow down why he might be biting. Then you can figure out how to help solve the problem or prevent yourself from getting bitten. Make sure you don't have any interesting smells on your hands. See if you can keep track of when he bites you (early in cuddle time, late in cuddle time, when he's hungry, if something happens right before he bites you, etc.) and if that gives you any clues as to the reason.

Don't punish anymore when he does it - it's obviously not working and it could actually be making the biting worse. Don't put him down, either, and as much as you can, try not to react (though I know that's hard). If he's biting from fear, it's most likely going to just be time that helps calm him down. If he's biting just because he likes biting something, try giving him a small piece of fleece that he can bite instead of you. Grace or Nancy can hopefully expand more on that idea, when to offer the fleece, etc. Nancy suggested it and Grace has been using it to deal with her boy that's prone to biting her. It's been working fantastically and might help you out with your little biter.

Hang in there! I'm sure we can work out why your hedgie is biting you and how you can hold him with a bit less pain.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

He is very huffy and defensive when he is on the couch With me my every move startles him, even if he is totalt relaxed
and splatting out next to me. i do Wash my hands With scent free soap, but its not just me he bites i started using a blanket and when i try to Pick him up he jumps and bites Down on it too.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

oooh he sounds tricky..

try putting a sweaty piece of your unused clothing inside his encosure for a few days to a week. Don't pick him up yet during this time but do place your hand carefully near his nose being wary of his bitey mouth so he can sniff you out. Do the hand sniff once daily. After a weeks' time try slowly picking him up slowly by scooping him on his side just under his belly. If he tries to ball up with a couple of your fingers in his belly without biting, just slowly proceed with picking him up. He may still be puffed up but he should be able to calm down.

and oh, always make sure he already ate at least an hour before picking him up.

Good luck!!
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh Neil, I like that idea! Except the part about not picking him up for several days Gabriel is very used to his evening out of cage and snuggle time.
StifflersMom, what I do with my rampant biter is similar to what you have already started. Gabe loves to bite, and he doesn't care much if he is biting fleece or me or Jason or the sheets. Anything he can get those crazy Sharp teeth around is fair game. So I have a bunch of smaller cut fleece that I use when I go to pick him up and hold him. We have made a game of "kill the fleece". When I see him going from lovey sparkle snuggle mode into destroy the world mode I'll shake the fleece in front of his nose a few times and he will go for it instead of me. It started out though that I would just hold him in the fleece to protect myself from him. I have hedgie teeth scars. It was seriously bad. So, my advice is to start just by holding your guy close to you in a small, 12x12 square or so of fleece. At minimum this will protect your flesh. Over time, as more bonding occurs, you may be able to give up on the fleece, or you may have a wonderful game of destroy the fleece
Lilysmommy likes this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

my first hedgie used to bit me every time I hold her, I used to use a fleece as a shield, scoop her up using the fleece and whenever I hold her I always have the fleeceagainst her spiky spines and her teeth, I always do that everyday during bonding time or even if I just need to pick her up, it always used to bite the fleece maybe thinking it was me... and after a less than a month, I can only guess she gots comfortable with me and since I used the same soap for washing her fleece and my hands, she gets used to my scent... no more biting and hissing since then
All worth it
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

yazaki DOB: Mar. 15, 2014

RIP
Gracita Dec. 16, 2013 - Jan. 14, 2015
gracita arrived home last March 29, 2014

PROUD AND HAPPY HEDGIE MOMMY
kuroneko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am to my wits end. My hedgie is about 3 months old I got her at 6 weeks old..she is very unsociable with me. She hisses pops jumps hides her face doesn't like meal worms chicken or crickets. I have no treats to give? She rolls in a ball when i pick her up but she does unroll out of the ball only to hide and her face. She is scared of every noise. Everything anything she rolls up..now what?
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wanda, it'd be a good idea to start your own topic so that you can get advice on your specific questions & situation.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im very happy about all the input, but im pretty sure he bites the blanket out of fear. i usually pulls my hand away when he bites my hand so im not sure if its a anger bite, or if its a i smell yummy bite.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Im not sure if This relevent or not but he is a long eared hedgehog not a pygmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in