Took my hedgie home today! :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashleyyy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Took my hedgie home today! :)

Hi everyone!

My name is Ashley. I'm 22 years old and I'm a doctorate student. I just got my hedgehog today! She's a 8-9 week old baby albino. My boyfriend and I named her Ellie. I originally wasn't planning on getting an albino, but she was just so friendly and great when we were looking at her, how could you not!

We got her from a pet store, but the breeder also worked there so luckily I have the breeder's phone number. She was super nice and said to text any time I have any questions, but I'm still just a little nervous! I figured for today, just let her sleep, get used to her new home, etc. I did wake her up around 9 PM just to kinda poke around, see her move, etc. I wanted to pick her up, but she buried into her bedding and spiked right up. I think I'm definitely going to try harder tomorrow, because I want her to get to know me! And vise versa.

How did everyone else here gradually get their hedgie to feel comfortable? I am very excited and nervous all at the same time. I'm trying not to be nervous because I've read that they're great sensors of emotion. Anyway, enough about me... looking forward to meeting others and hearing what everyone has to say! Talk to you all soon!
Arielle&James likes this.
ashleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got my little Quilbur on Friday. We arrived at home around 11PM after a LONG 3 hour drive. He was really nervous. He was mostly a little ball of quills. Last night we bonded a bit, but he was still really scared. Tonight was amazing!! He took about a half hour nap on my stomach wrapped up in some fleece while I lay on my bed. I put a t-shirt I've worn quite a bit in his hidey-house tonight. I'll find out in the morning if he actually sleeps in it. Congratulations on your little Ellie! Sorry that I don't have much experience to share, considering I've only had him two days.
Dherl0623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Put a worn t-shirt in her cage with your scent on it. That will help her get used to your scent.

And be patient. She will come around to you in time. Just make sure to bond with her everyday.

Congrats on the new baby.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

When you try to lift her up scoop her up with some of the bedding if you are using a fibre bedding. You can also scoop her up with fleece to protect your hands. don't use gloves though! Some hedgies love to explore, some just want to sleep on you! IMO both are great. I also talk to her when I come to get her out of bed, but she still spikes up a bit. She settles down right away when she figures out what is going on.
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dherl0623 View Post
I got my little Quilbur on Friday. We arrived at home around 11PM after a LONG 3 hour drive. He was really nervous. He was mostly a little ball of quills. Last night we bonded a bit, but he was still really scared. Tonight was amazing!! He took about a half hour nap on my stomach wrapped up in some fleece while I lay on my bed. I put a t-shirt I've worn quite a bit in his hidey-house tonight. I'll find out in the morning if he actually sleeps in it. Congratulations on your little Ellie! Sorry that I don't have much experience to share, considering I've only had him two days.
Quilbur is a cute name. Congratulations! A long ride well worth it. Thanks for the inspiring story!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeM81 View Post
Put a worn t-shirt in her cage with your scent on it. That will help her get used to your scent.

And be patient. She will come around to you in time. Just make sure to bond with her everyday.

Congrats on the new baby.
Thank you! I did put my shirt in there, and I took away her fleece sleeping sack. Part of me was reluctant because I really want her to be comforted, but I also really want her to get used to my smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1964 View Post
When you try to lift her up scoop her up with some of the bedding if you are using a fibre bedding. You can also scoop her up with fleece to protect your hands. don't use gloves though! Some hedgies love to explore, some just want to sleep on you! IMO both are great. I also talk to her when I come to get her out of bed, but she still spikes up a bit. She settles down right away when she figures out what is going on.
She huffs the second anything gets near her! Even if I lightly drape fleece over her to leave her alone again. I'm not sure what to do! I'm a little afraid, and I know I can't be, and I really am trying. So discouraged! I just won't want to drop her, torture her, etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also, calming music might help a lot it helped my girl relax when I had her out for bonding time at night. I used some meditation/spa music I found on YouTube. Also, talking to your new baby in a low, soothing voice might help. Just avoid saying anything like, "shh" as she might confuse that with a hissing noise. There are also a lot of awesome bonding tips and ideas on this forum, so definitely search for some if you need help. Welcome to the forum, and have fun with your new baby!

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Biggest part of being a hedgie owner is picking them up when they don't want to be held. You'll be surprised how easy it is to not drop them. It's probably going to hurt, I got poked so hard today I bled but my little buttface needed his nails clipped and he was being stubborn. I promise you get used to it.

Pick her up. She is going to huff and pop and be scared. Stick her in the sleeping sack as quickly as you can and set her on your lap. Watch a movie with her or marathon a tv show, or study. She will sleep and get used to your movement, sounds and scent while not stressing either of you out.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeM81 View Post
Biggest part of being a hedgie owner is picking them up when they don't want to be held. You'll be surprised how easy it is to not drop them. It's probably going to hurt, I got poked so hard today I bled but my little buttface needed his nails clipped and he was being stubborn. I promise you get used to it.

Pick her up. She is going to huff and pop and be scared. Stick her in the sleeping sack as quickly as you can and set her on your lap. Watch a movie with her or marathon a tv show, or study. She will sleep and get used to your movement, sounds and scent while not stressing either of you out.
Thank you! What reassuring words! I'm really going to try hard tonight. I just feel like I'm torturing her, which makes me sad, but I really need to start. You have an awesome idea-- thank you so much! I will be sure to let you know what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsurfergrlsp View Post
Also, calming music might help a lot it helped my girl relax when I had her out for bonding time at night. I used some meditation/spa music I found on YouTube. Also, talking to your new baby in a low, soothing voice might help. Just avoid saying anything like, "shh" as she might confuse that with a hissing noise. There are also a lot of awesome bonding tips and ideas on this forum, so definitely search for some if you need help. Welcome to the forum, and have fun with your new baby!
Ah! Good point about the "shhh"! I will definitely do that, and also keep the lights dim (which I didn't do yesterday.) When I shut the lights out for the night, she was frolicking her cage and running on her wheel and I just talked to her for like 30-60 mins. SO hopefully that helped a little, and I will definitely keep the lights super dim and try to get her when she's walking around/out, instead of waking her up. Thanks for the help and inspiration everyone!!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

congratulations ! & welcome to the hog family !
Mrhoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in