Hello - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kuroneko
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello

Hello! I just rescued a little hedgehog who is missing one eye and has some malnutrition issues. When we got her she was very lethargic and unresponsive I put her on a heating pad for a while then put her under a light to get her warm, I did massages every few hours. By the next morning she was more alert and trying to walk around. one problem we still have is she only wants to eat meal worms. I have started feeding my worms apples and carrots so she is getting some of what she needs from them. Today she is trying some of her food so i think we are making progress. She still is a little unsteady on her feet but getting stronger. My questions are: anybody have any suggestions that will help me help her in eating? and how long should I leave her under a light? Please anybody with any tips let me know! we had hedgehogs before now we have two but have never had these kind of issues..

thanks in advance for any help!
jmluedke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just crashed 3 pcs of superworms on a food dish before I out the kibbles on, I tried it last night and I noticed my male hedgie eats alot of kibble than normal, maybe because the kibble somehow smells like the worm?
perhaps u can try that with mealworms and see if it helps?

u can syringe feed her but for me that will be my last option if worst comes to worst for my babies
jmluedke likes this.

yazaki DOB: Mar. 15, 2014

RIP
Gracita Dec. 16, 2013 - Jan. 14, 2015
gracita arrived home last March 29, 2014

PROUD AND HAPPY HEDGIE MOMMY
kuroneko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have thought about that, wasent sure if she would eat it. Will have to try it! Thank you

Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If she doesn't start eating more of her food tonight, I'd start syringe-feeding her tomorrow as soon as you can. Hedgehogs don't do well going more than a day or two without much food, so it's important to get food into her if she's not eating much on her own, especially if she's already weak & suffering from malnutrition. Syringe-feeding isn't that bad, and is often necessary for hedgehogs that are sick or on a food-strike. There's more info and tips on syringe-feeding here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

Do you have a thermometer in her cage? You'll want to make sure she's staying warm, between 73-78*. A heating pad isn't a great option for that, you want to make sure the air is staying warm as well, and that the whole cage is the same temperature. Heating pads only do a limited amount of heating for the floor & maybe the air just above it, and you also shouldn't have them under the entire cage, which poses an issue. Ceramic heat emitters and space heaters are the best options for heating hedgehogs. It sounds like the light you're using is a reptile heating bulb that emits both heat and light, is that right? It'd be better to get a CHE bulb, they give off heat only, no light at all. The reason they're better is you can't have light on during the night - hedgehogs need a light schedule that gives them 12-14 hours of light during the day, but darkness at night. Unfortunately, they still need to stay warm at night, so a CHE is perfect for keeping them warm 24/7. Make sure you also have a thermostat hooked up to the CHE lamp so that the temperature stays steady.

I'm glad you took her in! I hope she continues to improve for you.
jmluedke likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you! She did eat a little more last night I am going to try feeding with a syringe today our local breeder said that may encourage her to eat. He also mentioned nutra Cal?

I do not have thermomter in her cage but we do keep our house between 73-74 degrees F and I have her out in main part of house so I can monitor her at all times. I will check into that light!

I have noticed that she is scartching a lot and has dandruff flakes all over, and lost a few quills to. Should I be worried? I have read to use flax seed oil and water to rinse her for dandruff/itching I'm just scared to do that right now. ?

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi welcome aboard!

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in