Brand new hedgehog owner.. In a week - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brand new hedgehog owner.. In a week

I am in the process of getting my first Hedgehog and I found this site doing research. I had to put a down payment on her because we have to pay our taxes this week so all my paycheck had to be dumped into that, so next weekend I will pay her off and pick her up. My new hedgehog will be a little girl and is about 3 months old. She's a light brown/cinnamon color and very sweet. She did not roll into a ball when I held her and she was very curious hence why I chose her. I have a tank and an exercise wheel. I need to get the food and bedding when I get her. Now I have a colony of Dubia Roaches that I bred to feed my bearded dragon, but she won't eat them. Can I feed the Dubia to the Hedge Hog? What other advice can you all share with a newbie??
JavaJoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Just so you know, a tank isn't really ideal at all for a hedgehog. They're usually not large enough (and ones that are are pretty heavy and hard to wash out completely), and they don't have good ventilation at all. It'd be a good idea to look into other cage options for one that's better suited.

Yup, dubia are just fine to be fed to a hedgehog! Other good insect treats are mealworms and crickets.

For other advice, my best advice is to download and read this care book - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi.../download.html It's very thorough and up-to-date and you may find information in there that you missed in your previous research. I'd definitely take a look through it before you bring your new girl home, in case there's anything you need to get still, or change. One thing that you haven't mentioned that could be a big deal - what kind of heating set up are you planning on using for her? She'll need to be kept between 73-78* and it's best if the temperature stays steady.
kuroneko likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

The roaches will be fine.

I'd look into a different setup for her. Tanks aren't the best. It'll work temporarily though. You should be able to get a wired cage for anywhere 40-80 dollars.
JeffX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do plan on a better house, the tank is just a temp home till I find the perfect home. I have my choice if pet smart or pet shop and neither has much of a selection to choose from. Do you all have some sites that sell houses so I can research more?.

As for heating, since we have a bearded dragon, we have a bunch of heat lamps with the bulbs that don't produce lights. I was told that would work, that or heating pads. I'm kinda Leary if hearing pads thou.

Last edited by JavaJoy01; 04-06-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

As for heating, since we have a bearded dragon, we have a bunch of heat lamps with the bulbs that don't produce lights. I was told that would work, that or heating pads. I'm kinda Leary if hearing pads thou.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I really like Foster & Smith if you're looking to order online. They removed a very bad hedgehog food from their product line when I pointed out that it was horrible nutrition-wise. I've been pretty impressed by them ever since that and like recommending people to their site because of it. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

And great, you're right on point with heating! Heating pads aren't a great option for hedgehogs, so your choice of the CHE lamps is right. Just make sure to use a thermostat too.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

I second Drs. Foster and Smith. You can also find cages to buy online from Petco and Petsmart as well. I'm not sure how much of a price difference their is, but you could always check around.
JeffX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in