New girl on the block, needs Hedgehog Advice please(: - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dex

Default New girl on the block, needs Hedgehog Advice please(:

Hello everyone! (:

My name is Jessica and I'm a new mommy to my amazing little man Dexter. He's 5 months old and i got him from a licensed breeder near my town when he was 3 months old. I recently started to notice some behavior changes and some health changes about a month and a half ago.

I'm sorry this may be long.

I realized that he had new quills coming in and he was a little grouchy, which is fine. I checked his quills and there doesn't seem to be anymore growing in. It's been a month now since they started coming in. Now he seems to be more aggressive. He doesn't like to be pet, or held. He huffs a lot and bites often. I don't have food on my hands so i'm confused why he bites. I also noticed that his stool is a bit off. It seems to be a little green and dark with some mucus, i read that this could be an infection or stress. This other part may seem weird but it looks like he humps the ground a lot by pulling his head down towards his tummy and pulls his butt towards his tummy. He also has an erection, which i assume is an erection because his penis looks like a long line on the stomach. Lastly i see some clear stringy mucus that i think comes out of his butt sometimes as he walks around.

This is all very confusing for me and i am considering taking him to the vet but they are very costly. I would like to hear from some of you to help me decide if a vet visit is necessary and/or help me diagnose what may be wrong.

Thank you so much! I appreciate any help that you can offer(:
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Their behaviour can change when they're not feeling well. I would take him to the vet for a check up and a few tests to see if he has an infection or something like that. The poop/mucus doesn't sound good to me. Did you change anything lately, like his food?

The other thing just sounds like 'boy time' to me, male hedgehogs masturbate. It's normal.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dex

I did change his cage up a little. He has a temporary big box with fabric down instead of his pine bedding. His food is the same food that his breeder gave me and he refuses to eat any snacks like veggies or scrambled eggs but he eats his other food just fine.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds to me your little man is haveing some " boy time". The actions you described sound exactly like what has been deacribed on various other posts. The clear stringy muscus like stuff could be semen. I am unsure as to why his poop would be off, that might warrant a trip to the vet id it does not resolve its self quickly.
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dex

I have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow so i hope to figure out what is wrong with him then.

Thank you guys for all the help, i appreciate it!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey jessica welcome aboard!

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hedgehog biting, hedgehog concerns, hedgehog health, hedgehog help, new hedgehog owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in