Nick the hedgie and his human - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BuzzBee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nick the hedgie and his human

Figured I'd come make an intro post. So hello everyone, I'm Bee and I'm co-human to Nick the adorable hedgie in my sig picture.
I like to joke that I'm co-human and that I accidentally adopted him because I had been gushing to his original human about how adorable hedgehogs were, around the time the original owner got orders to go overseas (military) asked me to look after Nick. It all happened very fast (I had only held a hedgehog once before, and knew next to nothing) and the next morning I was having something like 'new-father syndrome' while the other co-human was off to his new post.

Since that time we've had some trial by fire, but Nick and I seem to have settled into a good life together. Our first night may have included me frantically calling my friend near tears but just over 7 months of ownership and I think I've gotten a good handle on this Hedgie owner business. Though he still does things to scare me (I made a post about that in health already ), we've passed through them. I've soaked up just about every bit of information I could about hogs, we've gotten past the initial 'weird new human' stage, and now he likes to give prickly cuddles whenever I play with him.
Within a month I had him interacting with my kitties and it was a slow process of holding Nick in closer degrees so they could catch each others scents, but now one seems to regard him with a bit of a crush (she like laying near his cage and interacting with him) and the older cat seems to regard nick like he's a prickly kitten. Some nights are very nice as I'll get a cuddly lap kitty and Nick cuddling up in the crook of my arm. (Though I'll mention that there's never any unmonitored interactions between the two species, and Nick's cagetop is always secured when he's in there.)
Aether likes this.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Aww, welcome! He's adorable!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the welcome!
And he is a cutiepie. I love taking pics of him. X3

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is that a real cactus? Lol

Welcome aboard nick!

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

<3!

If you're still figuring out hedgehog-care, and haven't seen it, this book is lovely (& free to download!).
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Very cute picture, its hard for me not to find hedgehogs cute, I have to say they are just so sweet. Its good to know you guys had some real boding times. Me and Skullmageddon are still in the weird human stages, but he's pretty outgoing methinks. He napped in my armpit for a good hour before exploring the couch.

Last edited by MeowHype; 01-31-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Wouldn't post, then did with nothing
MeowHype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

So cute a hedgie!!

Welcome to HHC
The_Senator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in