Hedgehog Central banner

Introducing "Humphrey" from Upstate SC

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SariYappa 
#1 ·
Hi folks!
My name is Sari, I live in Upstate South Carolina (USA) and I just got a rescue hedghog from the Arlington Texas Raid. 'U.S. Global Exotics' was shut down for animal cruelty, leaving 24,000 exotic animals abused and needing forever homes :x 800 of those were Hedghogs.

The Hedgehog Welfare Society got a railroad going to North and South Carolina, and we recieved our little bundle of joy last Saturday. :D

He's a sweetie, but as can be expected, he is very scared. It's going to take some time and patience for him to bond with us, but it's worth it. :)

His name is officially "Humphrey Cyndaquil Kitch".
Humphrey for the sound he always makes (need I say more?!)
Cyndaquil from my 8 yr old son (it's a hedgehog like Pokemon)
Kitch for our Family name.

I am really looking forward to learning a lot here, and getting to know everyone. I am new to hedgehogs, but not to exotics, or to rescues.
We currently share our Love and our Home with:
3 Sugar Gliders (my 2 rescue boys Sugar & Nibbles, and our little girl Destiny)
2 Dogs, Piper & Phoebe (both formerly rescues)
1 Cat, Larz
1 Midland Water Snake, Tattoo (rescue)
5 Red Ear Slider Turles (all rescues)
1 Pinto Hedgehog, Humphrey
That's 13 now, not including the fish, the kid, or the hubby :lol:

(I'd just like to add, that all of our current rescues are with us permanently, and are not up for adoption) ;)

Here's a little slide show, to introduce ourselves. I'm sure to have lots more pics! ;)

http://s414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/Sariyappa/Hedgies/?action=view&current=e56c0064.pbw

It's a pleasure to meet you! :D

Sari

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome to HHC! There are several others here who adopted TX rescues, and some who are fostering. We have a thread for sharing pictures of the TX rescues, it's in the Fun Stuff section. :)

#9 ·
Thank you for the kind comments. ;)

If anyone has suggestions on where to navigate first (for newbies) I am open to suggestions! I am looking for better ways to make him more comfortable, and to help him potty train.

Lizardgirl: I am going to check out the fun section right now! :D

#10 ·
I can give the tricks that helped me potty train my hedgie but the only thing is it's equally possible it was just in his nature and he let me think I taught him something lol :)

I took two papertowel and folded them and placed into the far back corner of my cage and let it come under the wheel, you can always but another set of 2 if you want it expand the whole width of the cage. Then anytime my hedgie would poop I'd put the poop on the papertowel and if I knew he was going to poop (taking the funny stance with legs slightly out and tail pointing up) I'd pick him up and put him in that corner. After a few days of this he would stop what he was doing and run for his corner to go to the bathroom.

The funny thing that you will probably notice over time is that you'll start picking up on subtle things and changing the arrangement of the cage and when asked why you'll find yourself saying "Oh I do that because thats how my hedgie wants it" It sounds so funny like the hedgie told you too but its one of those things you see over time and makes you smile when you hear yourself say it lol

#11 ·
:lol: HAHA! I love your explanation. This is all good news... we have a litter tray, and my hubby and I have actually been "scooping up the poop" and "putting it in his tray"... and feeling a little silly about it. I'm glad to see it's actually recommended! (I hope the litter tray will work as well as the papertowel?).

Also, I can definitely start to see what you mean about the cage thing... Humphrey seems to "re-arrange" his cage everynight! And when I moved his litter tray to a different corner, I thought he was trying to lay down behind it... but then realized he was just trying to move it back! LOL

I will soon have one of my cameras on him, and be able to learn a lot more of what he does when I'm not there. We have a 4 camera system set up on our Sugar Glider cage (with night vision) and we've decided to give up one of the camera's to Humphrey. I just HAVE to know what he's doing when I'm not there! LOL

Thanks for the reply :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.