First time owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time owner

So I'm picking up my new hedgie in about a week. FIRST one ever and I'm SO excited I've spent hours on HHC learning as much as I can and I just have a few questions. I'm using fleece liners, I have bought 3 or 4 different ones to use at different times and measured them out to my cage so I can double them up. Is this enough or should I add something in the middle? The breeder I'm buying from uses water bottles but I've read a lot of mixed reviews so I think I'm going to offer bowl and bottle to see which my baby prefers.. Also I'm getting my cloroplast this week, how high up on the edges should I get it? Last but not least, I was wondering if anyone has bought from Millermeade farms and if so if what they can tell me about them. I've read a lot on their website and they seem reputable but I'm not sure... Thanks so much!! I'm posting pictures of my cage below so feel free to give advice, anything is welcome!! Note that I do not have my wheel yet my parents ordered me the carolina storm bucket wheel for Christmas also I do have a 150 watt CHE with a repti temp 500r that will turn on the lamp if it's too cold it's just not shown here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (268.5 KB, 6 views)
Itstrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looks good!

Liner -- double-layered fleece is just fine.

Coroplast walls -- the idea is to have it higher than your hedgehog can reach at full stretch. The exact amount varies, but some people do as low at 6", others as high as 12"...

Have you seen this book? It is an amazing resource.

No idea about the breeder.

Good luck & have fun!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I got my Lily from Millermeade and was very happy with them. Gail spent at least an hour with my mom and I, answering our questions on hedgehogs and showing us both how to correctly handle them, as well as introducing me to all three of the baby girls she had available. I bought some of our supplies from her, such as an igloo (Lixit oval-shaped pigloo, looks different than yours & the ones most people have), a water bottle, bedding, etc. After I found this forum (5 months after I first got Lily), I did switch to a water bowl, liners, and got a new wheel (CSW instead of our Comfort Wheel from Gail). She does sell hedgie-safe supplies though, and definitely seemed to know her stuff. She also worked with me another time, a while after I had Lily, when I rescued a hedgehog in pretty sorry shape from a high school classroom - I drove her to Gail's place & Gail took care of her until she could go to a rescue further south in Ohio.

As far as Lily went, she was amazing. I picked her out from the three babies because she was the one who fell asleep in my hand when I got to hold her. Love at first sight! She had a great temperament, even during quilling. She was a diva sometimes (I think all hedgehogs are ), but she was a huge sweetheart and definitely spoiled me. I plan on rescuing hedgehogs in the future rather than getting babies from breeders, but if I were going to get another baby, I definitely wouldn't mind going to Millermeade again.

Good luck with getting your new baby! We'd love to see pictures once you get her!

Note: I deleted the other post you put in the Housing forum since you only need to post something once. I left your post on the Cage Setup thread though & left a comment replying about the cage.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
c&c cage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in