First Time hedgie owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile First Time hedgie owner

Hi guys,
My daughter who is 9 had been begging for a hedgie all summer long and I just couldn't resist they looked so cute on the pictures and videos she kept pulling up on youtube. so we found a listing for some hedgies close by on CL and I figure I had to make sure she was able to hold them before I committed. the girl was nice right away I was able to tell this was a hobby breeder or maybe a college kid trying to make extra money.
needless to say we fell in love with the only girl in the litter she was so friendly and my girl was able to handle her with no problems. I got a message from her a week later saying that they were ready to go home that she was already eating solids, so we made arrangements and picked her up last Wednesday, she was very shy and grumpy the first day and its been warming up to us. I'm just a little worried she is not eating very much. she was born on sep 12 so she is still very young, we are gradually changing her food because what she was feeding them was not very good. she is sleeping a lot, is this normal? shouldn't she still be feeding from her mother? I realized the babies got to be too much work for the breeder and she just wanted to find home for them sooner than it should have been. should we supplement her cat food with something else?
We are so happy to have her with us, we still debating on names, between Willow and Maize lol I'm glad we found this forum with such a wealth of information. thank you!
Amalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehog was born on Sept 12, so she's 5 weeks old. That's about when they're weened from their parents, but it is pretty young to go home with strangers. How much does she weigh? How old was she when she came home with you?

Babies should eat a lot, poop a lot, and sleep a lot. By "a lot," I mean 20 hours a day -- it's ridiculous. But if she's not eating or pooping much, make sure the lighting and heat situation are good enough.

Has anyone given you The Book? Free, written by a forum member, kept updated with the current best-understood info.

What kibble are you feeding? How slowly are you switching? You can supplement with fresh fruit & veg, wet food, baby food, mealworms, etc. Can you use a scale or kibble-count to determine exactly how much she's eating and drinking?
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have not been able to weigh her, just got her this past wednesday the 16th, she is eating less than two tablespoon a day more or less, she was feeding her purina healty weight and I got her some blue buffalo grain free freedom, she seems to like it and I'm started with 70/30 for the first couple of days and did 50/50 today. the reason I think she is not eating much is because, she has never eaten all of it. I normally just put two tablespoons at the time in her bowl and leave it there all day so that she always has it available. we had done mealworms about a couple each day but not sure if feeding these are too much for everyday. she loved those
so yes she has been sleeping, and pooping a lot, had not tried to add any fresh veg and fruit yet since I wanted to make sure the new food was not affecting her tummy.
what kind of baby food, formula?
thanks so much for the book I will take the time to read and post if I have more questions.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh! It's typical to free-feed hedgehogs, so you put out enough food that they don't quite eat all of it. If she's eating 1-1.5Tbs a night, she's totally eating plenty! Yes, that's a reasonable and slow food-switch.

I don't have much experience, but my little guy ate around 1.5Tbs/night when he was in baby growth-spurt mode, and is more like 0.75Tbs/night now he's a big ol' adult.

Baby food like the tiny jars of pureed meats, veg, or fruit.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

The book by Kimberly Goertzan is FANTASTIC!! She includes some reference documents which have helped me keep track of how Abigail is doing, especially how much she's eating and how much she's running. Based on the advice on this forum, I got a bike computer and attached it to Abigail's wheel so now I know how much she's used it every night. Sometimes the wheel looks like it's hardly been used (not very dirty) and yet she's still run 3+ miles. Other times the wheel is FILTHY and she's only run about 1/2 mile. I weigh Abigail and her food every night. She's 4 months today and typically eats 9-12 grams a night (I give her 15 grams a night). You can get a digital scale for under $20 on Amazon. I give her meal worms a few times a week and cooked chicken a few times a week. She loves both. I haven't had any luck with fruit yet, but will try again.
GusNJulesMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have tried strawberries but she didn't like them, I'm looking to see what other veggies/fruits have worked for other people to give it a try. we got a wheel for her and I finally realized what the big deal everyone was talking about what the wheel looks like in the morning.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

There's a good list of treats you can try here: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...s-veggies.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in