Hello! Introducing Mr. Henry - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FinnickHog
  • 1 Post By HenrysMom9117
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Hello! Introducing Mr. Henry

Hi I'm very new to having a hedgehog, his name is Henry! And this is him! He is loving, social, and loves his crickets lol

I had him on paper bedding but switched it after only one cleaning (I've only had him less than 2 weeks) because I read about mites and the price is well... between a bunny and him, it's expensive!
I switched him to a regular bed sheet in the time being. He is doing great with it since last night, did his poops, pees, ate, and played on his wheel!
So my questions are..
I am looking into buying fleece and putting a layer of puppy pads underneath it.
1.Is there anything else I should be doing other than that? Should I be doing multiple layers or anything like that? And how often to machine wash it, and what detergent? I've watched YouTube videos and saw people just putting puppy pads and a layer of fleece.
2. Do you buy your fleece on amazon? Is there a certain type of fleece to get? And does it need to be sewed?

He gets 5 small crickets everyday to every two days, a very low amount of meal worms, and he is on the cat food called "Blue Buffalo, chicken and brown rice Weight Control, it is an orange bag". He lays down on the couch and watches tv with me for a total of about 2 hours daily as well, to get to know each other and become comfortable! He cage is always around 75 Degrees Fahrenheit to 77 Degrees Fahrenheit (I live in Canada it's freezing here lol) His heat lamp runs 24 hours a day (it is also the black heating lamp so he doesn't get confused between day and night) and I make sure it never gets hotter than 79 Degrees Fahrenheit.

I am very open to new ideas, any constructive criticism, anything I could change, his well being and health are my number one priority!
HenrysMom9117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome! Henry sounds delightful! You should share some pictures of him! To answer your questions,

1. I honestly don't even do puppy pads. A double layer of fleece (I buy double the width of the cage and fold it in half but two sheets works just as well) is plenty absorbent for hedgehog pee. For detergent, you want something unscented and mild. I use Downy Free and Gentle but anything with no perfumes will work. I have three sets of fleece and alternate once a week. One set goes in the wash, one set hangs to air dry, one set is in the cage. Some people do bi-weekly. It depends how messy your hoggy is!

2) I have bought fleece on Amazon and locally from fabric stores. You're looking for fleece labelled as "non-pill" or "anti-pill". This means it won't get those little balls of fluff all over it after repeated washings. The balls can get stuck on hedgehog toes, so it's best to stick to non-pill. Fleece doesn't fray and therefore doesn't need to be sewn. Some people will sew two pieces together to make a double thick pad, but it's not required, and if the stitching comes loose it can trap a toe or foot. Here is a good place to start looking on Amazon.

I'm in Canada as well so I also always have a heater running. It sounds like you're doing everything right! If you wanted to, you could mix a second food with the Blue Buffalo just to add some variety, but it's not a bad food.
HenrysMom9117 likes this.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much! I'm not sure how to post a photo of him, I wish I could!

I went out today and bought him 3 huge pieces of fleece that I'll be cutting to fit his enclosure, and Downy Free and Gentle, and some puppy pads!

What kibble do you recommend to add onto the one I have? Or to switch over to?
FinnickHog likes this.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Sounds like your doing great, I wash Holly's fleece toys blankets with my normal non bio washing tablets, I just don't add anything like conditioner that adds scents.

You could have a look at the stickie for beginners guide to nutrition here Beginner's Guide to Hedgehog Nutrition https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=23034
It will help you with understanding what to look for in foods so you can choose good ones to mix easy.

Remember that insects need to be daily, they get most their fibre from them as well as other nutrients, 5 small crickets is fine to start with, but you will want to build on that adding in more verity, and using like 10-15 insects instead of 5. Just to make sure you know as some people dont realise/know.
Mealworms are only treats with little nutrients, totally fine to feed but you still want more than just the two.
Dubia roaches, locusts, black soldier fly larvae (calciworms), isopods (woodlice), silk worms are all great ones to look at for adding in more.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just made a new food list so anything on there is a good choice. If you can't get any of those let me know what you have access to and I can take a look!
Old 02-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sadly it's illegal to have roaches in Canada. Everyone says dubia roaches are the best for hedgehogs but we can't get them! Zoo Med has canned insects, my hoggo loves the crickets. I've given her canned silkworms occasionally but I find they make her poo really soft so I don't give them too often.
isitafireorisit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitafireorisit View Post
Sadly it's illegal to have roaches in Canada. Everyone says dubia roaches are the best for hedgehogs but we can't get them!
Never new that. Ik Holly loves hers, they are the best ones for energy. But they can go without!
As long as they get a mix of insects its fine, I just listed a load that I use with Holly not really knowing what you can a d cant get in other countries.
isitafireorisit likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got the downy Gentle and free wash. I will start building his crickets more! I normally give about 6 a day but I'll build up to 15 overtime Thank you so much everyone. Also another quick question, I figured out how to post photos! This is where he lives, its about 3.5 feet long cage.
I had him in my room for a month to make sure he is adapting well to his environment and to me, and he's done amazing. I just moved him into another room today (I wake up at 5am and switch on my light to get ready for work and that's his party time, so I figured different rooms is better for him and I overall lol)
SO, my question is, do heat lamps heat the entire cage? His temperature on the photo and overall is 76F. Does that mean his entire cage is 76F? I'm just terrified he will go into hibernation. I didn't' have his heating lamp there before, I had it hanging from my desk so it is overall a different set up.
I just wanna make sure his entire cage is warm enough. I just bought a larger dome for his heating lamp as well. But do you think it's warm enough in his entire cage?

Last edited by HenrysMom9117; 02-18-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't entirely understand the list of food. It's well written, I am just not very educated on the proteins and all. Is less fat and more protein better?
I read the top part that says " Keep in mind that the ideal mix is 35% or lower protein, and 8-20% fat. "
So any of the ones in the 8-14% or the 15-17% Fat range are good? I am searching them and seeing these are wet foods? Are wet foods better for them?

Is this one good? Sorry for all the questions, just want to find the best for him!
https://www.amazon.ca/Merrick-Grain-...3673261&sr=8-3

Last edited by HenrysMom9117; 02-18-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysMom9117 View Post
I don't entirely understand the list of food. It's well written, I am just not very educated on the proteins and all. Is less fat and more protein better?
I read the top part that says " Keep in mind that the ideal mix is 35% or lower protein, and 8-20% fat. "
So any of the ones in the 8-14% or the 15-17% Fat range are good? I am searching them and seeing these are wet foods? Are wet foods better for them?

Is this one good? Sorry for all the questions, just want to find the best for him!
https://www.amazon.ca/Merrick-Grain-...3673261&sr=8-3
That one looks good! Just like with people, each hedgehog metabolism is unique. So some do better on higher fat diets and some do better on lower fat diets. A lot of people will mix multiple foods together, choosing a higher fat, a lower fat, and a mid-level fat content food and then adjusting the ratios to tweak the overall fat content as needed.

Also he is adorable! Hopefully someone else hops in for your heating question. If not I can tackle it, but it's not my specialty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in