Babysitting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Babysitting

I’m babysitting a hedgehog till Tuesday!!!

Her name’s Lucy, and she belongs to a man my aunt works with. She was originally trusted with my aunt, but she handed her over to me to babysit for a few days.

She’s such a darling. Super active and quick.
She was very dirty when she came here, as was her cage, so I cleaned the cage and I bathed her. She looks like a new hog.

Her cage is a travelling cage. It’s super small and she doesn’t have a wheel for the few days she’s living with me. I’m low-key scared she’s gonna climb the cage out of boredom or it being too small. Im just praying she doesn’t hurt herself.

Her nails are quite long aswell, so I’m going to trim them tomorrow. Attempt to.

Her weight also has me concerned though. She looks super thin, feels like a feather aswell. She’s on good food, and gets a rather reasonable amount of it, so I’m not sure why she looks like this. Maybe it’s just me that says she’s underweight. Igor being so big and all.

I’m not putting Lucy in my room, in fear of Igor smelling her. She’ll be in the living room. It’s luckily spring and warm so no need for temperature modifications.

Her ears are a little dry and scaly, so I did point out flagseed oil. But I’m not gonna throw any over her food, seeing as she’s not mine.

She looks almost just like Igor! Her eyes are just a lot more softer.

The second photo is a picture of igor and Lucy mixed to show the difference.
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Lucy looks to be the right shape and not underweight from the photos. As a tip underweight hogs a lot of the time look a bit like this )( their sides can dip in a bit. Just so that you know!
She just looks smaller than igor!

She's a lighter colour than igore too! Super cute though.

You could always weave some cardboard into the bars while she is with you if your worried! I would because I wouldn't want someone elses hog to get hurt in my care even if its their fault that they didnt give a wheel to stop boredom.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm that’s a good idea! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that dang.

I’m also thinking of putting in temporary bedding. Since her current cage doesn’t have any. I was thinking of using paper towels I just tape down. Her urine gets all over the place.

I’ve also noted that she drinks a lot of water, eats rather quickly too. But I’m glad she isn’t underweight! I can’t tell from hog to hog, since Igor is so big and I’m so use to his size, it’s just weird to hold a hedgie that’s so light.

I’ll work on the cardboard, thank you!

Old 09-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

You may as well leave the paper towel in loose. Even taping it she decided to rip it up to get under it, its just a waste of tape otherwise

All hogs drink different amounts. But how much do you class as a lot?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

@Ria already said it, but I was going to say that some hedgehogs are just smaller than others! My vet (finally found a good one!!) uses the term "hotdog hedgies" for some hedgehogs that are long and skinny XD She look sooo cute though! And both ar albino? That's super cool considering that that is kinda rare! At least I think it is anyways haha! But yeah good job cleaning her and stuff, and I would say just point out to the person the flaxseed oil when he gets back, don't feed her naything without asking him first. And maybe try taking her out a lot while she is with you if her cage is too small? How small is it? Do you have a picture? And be careful with bedding too I would say, just in case she might be allergic to it. Good luck and have fun! She is super cute!!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2020, 05:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm alright I’ll leave it untapped.

Ok so, I classify this as a lot. I took a picture of her water bowl next to my hand to show the size. It’s a decent sized water bowl. Igor’s isn’t even that big, and he doesn’t drink a lot. (Mainly since his food has water in it)

So in the first hour or two, she emptied this bowl so that 1/3 water was left. I refilled it and again, this morning, it’s back to 1/3.

And I’ll also take a picture of her cage, yes.
I was planning to let her run around the garden a bit when it gets dark, especially after she’s eaten. She eats quick too! She gets 13grams of food and within an hour that’s up aswell. Igor looks like a Prince next to her &#x1f602;
Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

That's definitely a lot of water maybe mention it when you give her back to the owner and see what they say?
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alright! I’ll try, thank you!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe the water is leaking out? But I think that it;s okay if she eats and drink fast, some animals are different But good job caring for her! Aren't you worried that she will espace/ run away oustide after dark?
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

We have an enclosed yard. She can’t get out, just hide.

So I didn’t have cardboard, so I used paper. It worked with Igor last time he climbed the cage, so I thought it might work for Lucy.

It didn’t. She tore through the paper and forced me to remove it, in fear of her hurting herself. This morning when I went to check on her cage, there was faint blood on the cage bars.

I’m like, slowly giving up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in