Hello everyone! 10 mth old Esquina - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello everyone! 10 mth old Esquina

Hi everyone nice to meet you! We have a 10 month old baby girl named Esquina, and she loves massages and burrowing in her igloo. We got her when she was 2 months old and are first time hedgie owners. These 8 months have been so fun getting to know her, stroke her where she likes it, get used to her smells and her used to ours, her schedule, her moods, and also of course the cleaning! We love her and though it's generally thought that hedgehogs aren't very expressive this little girl can be quite loving at times (or we're just imagining it lol whichever floats the boat). We are on Instagram with the same handle @esquinaonthesea so please feel free to check out our photos and comment if you like

I think she's just begun quilling again (is it right that this would be her last time before becoming an adult at 1 year old??). She was losing quite a lot of fur before the quilling started, is that normal? She is behaving normally - for her that means 'fluffy cuteness snuggle me' social some days and huffy 'don't touch me I'm just gonna walk away' anti-social some days Her kibble is always changing because we are on the move and I can't always find the same brand everywhere we go, so I just search for the highest protein 36-40% dry cat food that's about 0.5cm size. I read that changes in food could result in loss of fur/quills but she's dropped about 50 quills over 2 days so got a little worried.. though she seems to be playing/pooping as per usual so I thought it might be quilling instead?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and we are glad to join the community!

Last edited by Esquinaonthesea; 06-20-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Esquinaonthesea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Welcome to the forum

Their food should only have at most 35% protein, too much protein can cause health problems especially to hogs that aren't very active, their fat should be 15% or less too unless they struggle with keeping weight on due to being very active.
Maybe check out the sticki under nutrition called beginners guide to hedgehog nutrition to improve the biscuit you feed.

As long as your changing the food gradually and not suddenly it shouldnt cause any problems, but even so changing it too much can cause problems, can't you maybe buy a bit more of the food she's on now to prevent needed to changing it so often ??

Most hedgehogs do go through quilling again around 10 months, just watch for bald spots. Not sure about the hair loss though.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

She is just adorable!!!
Darcie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Ria

This is just the second time we've changed her food - the first type of food was from the pet store, the second (1kg bag which lasted a while) from the supermarket which I picked out after reading stuff about hedgies online (and I'll definitely check out the nutrition section on this forum too!), and the third one only recently. We are in a different country every 1-2 months and just couldn't find the same brand at the previous place we were at. Would've got more for sure if I'd known at the time that time that different brands of cat food even with the same protein content would be that much different for hedgies! she's not going bald anywhere yet nor crusty nor anything like that so. good to know that 10 mth quilling is somewhat normal. thanks for the advice!

Hi Darcie, thank you! she's brought much laughter and lightheartedness to us it's wonderful having a hedgie, as you would know too!!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Theres a lot of wrong info online, try find a brand thats used a lot like james well beloved, science plan, Wainwright and applaws (these are the ones I believe are more world wide used) then if you use a mix of 2 or 3 of them and you cant get another one of one of them then at least you know you still have others.
Its also alters your fat and protein the general basic way to work it out if you are to two foods 50/50 is fat%+fat%2 and same for protein. Then you know your overall fat and protein with more than one food.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I looked a little more closely through her quills and actually found 3 small quill tips sticking out at 1 spot so thats good she doesn't have any bald spots except for that usual spot between the forehead quills. Great thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Her

I will let the experts answer your questions. But oh my! I loved every photo posted. Such a precious little girl! Her gorgeous face; her baby tummy, her "yoga" poses; her feet covering her eyes; and on and on she goes........................................
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos haha Yes she is a funny little girl all right.. we look forward to playing with her everyday <3 she has the most hilarious poses and expressions sometimes I can't help but laugh and snuggle her..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in