What did I get myself into?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What did I get myself into??

After much research I decided to get a hedgehog. Out of the countless videos and blogs I read, no where did I read or see anyone mention the mess they make on the wheel. Not sure how thats even possible as it’s apparently a thing. My little guy has been using his litter box 75% of the time which is nice but my anxiety is through the roof with the upkeep. My 3 rats we cleaner than this guy! BUT with that being said, not once has my little man huffed or puffed, grunted snorted or anything of the like. I have yet to see him turn into a ball of spikes 110% of the time he has his quills down and he’s so chill with being held and petted. Out of all his siblings of course the white “ugly” one is the nicest! Tell me it gets easier with the mess!
melvic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

It never really changes unless they decrease in activity. Well you get used to it, get yourself in a routine then maybe it will get easier.
Just u wait until nail clipping or quilling or even bath time, I'm sure you'll get huffed at, at least once !!!!
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

It’s a FANTASTIC thing that your hedgie is so comfortable with you so quickly. Sadly, a lot of what we see on social media/blogs are the rare “cute” encounters with these guys, but they do make a mess! Their digestive system kicks into high gear as their activity increases, so whelp messes are definitely inevitable. Many of them don’t care either so they’ll run through their poop and smear it in! It’ll get ‘easier’ over time in the sense that you’ll get used to it, but they won’t stop pooping 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think routine is key. If you know and expect that wheel cleaning is part of your morning (or whenever) routine, then it soon becomes 2nd nature. I find it pretty easy. I use the stand to angle the wheel in a sink and put some water inside to soak it. Wipe it out with a paper towel and it's good to go.

(I'll try to remember to take a photo tomorrow to show this)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sure if you read through posting on here enough you'll find plenty of us talking about disgusting wheels.

Majority of hedgehogs I have had who were extra filthy were small males who were marathon runners. However, I have a girl at the moment who I think may hold the record for being the messiest hedgehog. She too is a small (340gram) marathoner. She does a great job of painting her wheel each night in poo, but she has a skill that not many others have had, she somehow manages to spread small flakes of stool throughout her cage. No spot is safe from her. Behind her wheel, in front of her wheel, opposite corner of her wheel, on top of her bed, blanket, tubes. Needless to say her cage liners get replaced all the time. Oh and her feet? Always clean. I think she steps in it and walks around her cage wiping her feet and digging everywhere until she gets it off... still not sure how she manages to get it in some of the places she does though.

Interestingly enough, she was housed with another female for a while before she arrived at my home. Housed separately now, but her cage mate ranks up there for one of the tidiest hedgehogs I've had. You'd never know she ran on her wheel as its spotless, her feet never have a speck of dirt on them and she keeps them trimmed up, her stool is typically neatly pilled up.

I've often wondered how her cage mate put up with her as they are really complete opposites of cleanliness personalities.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

...cont.
Here is a pic showing what I do each morning with the wheel. By having it an angle like that, the center wheel bearings don't get wet. I can rotate the wheel on its stand to wet and loosen the junk inside the wheel and then dump the water in the toilet. I then wipe it out with a paper towel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190522_114413low res.jpg (127.9 KB, 11 views)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

How old is your little fellow? Babies poo a lot more than older hedgies, but still. Personally, I give Penelope a little foot bath in the afternoon and she usually uses the bath as a pitstop potty and then subsequently has a lot less on her wheel. Sometimes that helps. Otherwise you get used to it, like people said. Soak the wheel in the mornings and it will only take five minutes to clean

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in