Hi, from Rhode Island! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi, from Rhode Island!

Hello All! I have finally decided that I am in a stable enough place to provide a good home to the hedgie I have wanted since I was little! I am the proud mother of two maltese dogs, Spike and Moose, and a OTTB (off the track thoroughbred) rescue named Zeus. I have been reading everything I can find about hedgehogs in preparation for getting my own baby, and came across this amazing site! I have found so much information here and decided to join because this place seems to provide invaluable support to hedgehogs and their owners!

I will hopefully be getting my hedgehog in two weeks, although I have been preparing for months! I have gotten supplies, located a vet with an emergency clinic who can take hedgies, and found out all the bedding, food, and other thing that the baby is used to to hopefully make a very smooth transition. The baby will come home with a sterilite bin setup, and I plan on using that while we get settled. Once settled I am planning to move her to a C&C setup.

I am considering Rue (from the Hunger Games) or Penny (from the Big Bang Theory) for names. Any other recommendations?
Is there anything that I am forgetting?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, I am so excited to have joined this community!
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hi, from Rhode Island!

Welcome!

Depending on the breeder or other source, the food/bedding etc your girl is used to might not be best to keep using. Food transition should be slow, but switching from substrate to liners, for instance, can be done right away without any problems. What kind of food will you be using exactly? Also, you didn't mention a heat source or wheel, both which are very important.

Can't wait for pics when you bring her home!

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you!

She is on aspen right now, would you recommend switching her to liners right away?
I have a small animal heating pad to put under her igloo/fleece cuddle spot. I also have a ceramic heat emitter with the digital thermometer that it connects to to control the heat. She will be in a room where I have been making sure to keep the heat at a pretty comfortable 70-72 air temp and will use the CHE and heating pad to make sure she stays extra cozy.
I have a tiny dog carrier that is lined and padded. I was thinking of using this with some hand warmers wrapped in fleece to bring her home.
Her breeder is going to supply a flying saucer wheel, and from what I have read I will eventually get her a Carolina Storm Wheel as she gets bigger!

From what I have read a mix of dry cat foods and treats like mealworms are best? I found a local pet store that sold it and purchased Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Light. Are there any other foods that would make her food even more balanced? I know that switching her over will be a slow process
-Anatole France

Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would suggest switching her to liners as soon as you bring her home, yes.

Sounds like you have heat and food figured out. CS light is one of the foods in my mix, it's a great option. It's a good idea to use a mix of at least 2 foods; personally my mix is 7, but that's overkill for one hedgehog, haha. This is a list of good food options; the "second tier" are fine but it's best to go with ones from the "top tier" list. I prefer to use more than one protein source in my mix, for variety, though it's not necessary.

http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html

A flying saucer is a fine wheel and there's no need to upgrade as she grows. The only thing about those is that they take up more floor space compared to other wheels. If you decide to get another one, any bucket wheel or cake topper wheel will work. The Carolina Storm ones are one option - there are also other people who make and sell bucket and cake topper wheels (myself included) or you could make one DIY-style without too much trouble.

You're off to a great start! Love to see new owners who have done their research!

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 12-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much for the help!
I will pick up another kind to make her a mix this week! How soon should I begin introducing her to the new food once she is home? Is there another food you have found as a favorite for your babies? I am looking at Blue Buffalo or Innova, which would you recommend? I am already a little obsessive, haha!

When I said I have researched for months I meant it, I have actually even looked at your website before!
Your hedgehogs are gorgeous! Zombie and Wilde are such cutie pies!!!!
Can't wait to get my girl home and get some pictures!
-Anatole France
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! Zombie is currently taking care of three 3-week-old baby boys, she's a great mama. And I'm so glad my site is helping people!

I don't use Blue Buffalo or Innova, the only reason being that I've been able to find foods of the same quality for less money. Innova has turkey, so I'd suggest that one as a second food to go with CS light. You can start switching her from her original food to one of those two in the first few days, and give her a week or two to make the switch most of the way, or all the way. If she seems to be doing well with that you can start to introduce the second food as well, even before the original one isn't being included. Just watch for signs of stomach upset and pay attention to how receptive she is to the diet change.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I looked at your available babies and saw her little ones, how sweet they look! Can't wait to get my baby in my hands, and making it through the wait by obsessively researching and looking at photos :P Your website was a wonderful resource for me!
What food would you suggest as the best food to mix with CS light? I am not as concerned about price as quality, but I would certainly enjoy it if it were good AND easy to afford.

Thank you for being so patient with all my questions!
-Anatole France
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like that a few of the ones I use are pretty inexpensive AND at the top of the list in terms of quality. They're not available from chain stores, though. CS is one of them. 4Health is another, also chicken.

I would suggest a non-chicken option. Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken is lamb-based and the best non-chicken food in my experience.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you so much! I was able to find CS light at a tiny pet supply store near my house, it only carries top quality foods, toys, and things like that. I will see if they carry Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken as I would rather spend my money at a local place, but if not I just looked it up and the Petco next door carries it

Thank you SO much for the help!
-Anatole France

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in