Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   flakes found around my hedgehog recently (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190262)

d24thehedgie 01-13-2019 02:14 PM

flakes found around my hedgehog recently

hi there, i am a new hedgehog owner and me getting one randomly was kinda scary as i know its a very delicate animal that is prone to many dangers.

base on the heading , i recently checked on my hedgehog before i went to sleep and i realized there were loads of flaky stuff around and on a shirt i left with it to burrow into. I have also realized it is also scratching the top part of its head which kinda worries me as its starting to feel like its been infested by mites

-any experienced hedgehog owners here who encountered this situation before ? i would really appreciate some advice from you and ASAP as i want to bring it to a vet as fast as i can before it gets worst:-?:-?

d24thehedgie 01-13-2019 02:20 PM

flakes found around my hedgehog recently

hi there, i am a new hedgehog owner and me getting one randomly was kinda scary as i know its a very delicate animal that is prone to many dangers.

base on the heading , i recently checked on my hedgehog before i went to sleep and i realized there were loads of flaky stuff around and on a shirt i left with it to burrow into. I have also realized it is also scratching the top part of its head which kinda worries me as its starting to feel like its been infested by mites

-any experienced hedgehog owners here who encountered this situation before ? i would really appreciate some advice from you and ASAP as i want to bring it to a vet as fast as i can before it gets worse

Ria 01-13-2019 04:30 PM

It could be mites or dry skin or a mix of both.
With mites they tend to itch a lot, sometimes the bulb (ball at the end if the quill) will be chewed off. You can do a check on a black materal, rub their back and see if the flakes move on their own after.

You can to a vet and say you susspect mites and then treat for that.
Adding a little flaxseed oil to food twice a week helps with dry skin which is a common problem with them.

belties 01-13-2019 05:39 PM

Ours was scratchy and flaky too but with winter the inside air gets dry here. I gave her a bath in this new hogwash we ordered and that was the end of it. Mites can be a problem and a vet visit will confirm if its dry skin or mites and if it is they can treat for the mites.

nikki 01-13-2019 05:44 PM

Please only post one thread for your questions. Duplicate postings are not allowed.

If your hedgehog is scratching more than normal he may have mites or possibly a bacterial or fungal infection or just dry skin. The only way to know for sure it to make a vet appointment and have him checked out.

Marijna 11-20-2020 03:18 PM

I would do this treatment, it takes care of both dry skin and mites! I did this with both my Hedgies and it worked really well! they had dry skin, and one had mites.