Fearsome Finkle - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fearsome Finkle

I've been the custodian of a hedgehog for a little over two weeks now. Finkle is an albino male who will be three months old on June 15, and has been quilling for about three days now--possibly longer and I just didn't notice until the quills started showing up on my clothes and in his bath water.

The first week and a half of having him, he was as sweet as could be, very cuddly and affectionate; it was a pleasure to handle him and have him nestle in my shirt, or curl up for a nap. With the onset of quilling, his behavior has changed rather dramatically: he huffs constantly, bristles at the slightest provocation, lunges when I open the cage door and make any changes to the decor, whether it's cleaning or giving him some fresh food. I just gave him an oatmeal/buttermilk bath (tearless buttermilk shampoo for puppies), and he absolutely would not settle down in his flannel snuggle sack; he huffed and puffed and made half-lunges when I adjusted the position of the snuggle sack on my lap. I've given up trying to pet him since it looks like his skin is super-sensitive, and he even seems to dislike having his forehead stroked, which he adored before he started quilling.

He's a lovely hedgie and I'm very fond of him. Is it normal for them to be so grouchy during quilling? I noticed that a number of people mentioned a sort of cyclical grumpiness that worsens when there's a major quilling, but it's not as pronounced when they're having their earlier quilling events. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Will his behavior change again once he's finished quilling? O.O I'm trying not to panic, but I'm worried.
DuchessRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the Hedgehog Central Forum. Fearsome Finkle is a good looking Hedgehog!
urofan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
albino hedgehog, new hedgie, new owner, quilling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in