Hello from Seoul, South Korea! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By autumnfox
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from Seoul, South Korea!

Im an English teacher from the states teaching here in Seoul, South Korea. One of my biggest passions is taking care of animals. I first got my flying squirrel here almost 2 years ago, and adopted a little girl hedgehog last week. Ive named her Chestnut. She seems to have a very sweet personality even though Ive only had her for such a short time. This is my first time owning a hedgehog so Im always worried to bits about her and wonder if every green poop or late wakening means certain illness and death!

I took her to the vet the day after I got her and she appears to be fine except for a few mites which she has been treated for. I have another appointment in 3 weeks to make sure they are gone.

Nice to be a part of this forum!

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome!
Aww what a sweet girl and that food dish is amazing!

This forum is really useful and helped me loads when I got my little boy almost a year ago (I'm based in Tokyo ^^). You can search the forum topics and there are pinned posts (stickies) at the top which are really useful.

Re the mites, I'm not sure what the familiar treatment is in S.Korea but check it wasn't ivermectin that they gave her as its really strong and sometimes fatal to give hedgies as its easy to overdose on it. I've read normally the second dose is when problems can happen. The safest treatment for mites is revolution and its applied topically (ivermectin is by syringe). The vet here initially wanted to give my boy ivermectin but I asked for revolution and they were fine with that too. Thought I'd just mention it anyways, just in case!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea, I read about the Ivermectin after I took her to the vet. I'm still not sure what he gave her and was going to ask him during the next visit. I didn't know that revolution was applied topically and Invermectin was by syringe, so thank you so much for that info. He applied it topically so I assume it wasn't Invermectin then.

I'm glad to have met another person living in Asia! And so close! Are you also a teacher? I heard that it is extremely difficult for people to get a teaching position in Japan (in public schools), not to mention Tokyo!
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Ivermectin can be applied topically, it's usually injected but is sometimes given orally or topically so I would still check for to make sure.
Yukidama's mama likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to check next time. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry when I said syringe I meant injection >< but Nikki is right so double check to be on the safe side!

Haha yes I do teach English here but only part time and not in public schools (I don't think I could stand up in front of 40 odd kids lol). I just teach at a small conversational school, it's nice and relaxed. Ah its pretty easy in my opinion, the only requirement is a degree but even in some cases child care experience would still get you a job in a kindergarten or language school. I think only the programmes they offer like JET are difficult but that's probably the most restrictive option anyways! ^^
Have you been to Japan before? I'm still yet to make it to Seoul, even though it is so close! I love s.korean skincare!

Btw did you buy the food dish in Seoul or on the Internet? It's so cute! Hedgehogs are so popular here but I've never seen a dish like that
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2018, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I sent you a PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in