Hello (Im totally new) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello (Im totally new)

Hi Im Animal lova and im 12 (will be thirteen in july) I live in oregon. Thats all Im going to say on that. I own 2 hamsters right now and they are around one or two years old. I hope they live a good long life for hammys. After my hammys I'm thinking about getting a hedgehog. but im not 100% into it. I really want one because they do sound like one of the best pets for me right now. What do I need to know about them? (I read the page on the site.) Is there something that the page does not tell you?
Animallova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy
Default Re: Hello (Im totally new)

You need to be aware of 2 very key points in my opinion....

1.) Hedgehogs require a strong commitment if they are ever to be socialized and have a happy life. You have to interact with them on a daily basis. Their cage also has to be spot cleaned daily.

2.) With you being a minor, your parents need to be aware of the potential expense of owning a hedgehog. A vet visit can be anywhere from 60 dollars all the way to several thousand. Also their diet can be expensive as well...Each of our girls are on a 3 food mix, and niether of them like the same food...that is 6 different food at a cost of at least 10 dollars a bag. I also just built a cage for one of the girls and with accesories is going to be over 100 dollars.

Im not telling you this to scare you away, just dont want you to think that owning a hedgie is all sunshine and roses...takes work and money to have a healthy hog.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I have heard all that before. (My aunt tried to dicurage me same stuff to scary) Thank you for your advise and oppionon. Im only planning one hedgy. I have already taken a vet class. Not the point. I have to purchase the pet with my money and most of the time I have to pay vet bills unless the hedgy will truely need it. (I have to pay the check up bills if any are needed.) How often do hedgys need a vet?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animallova
How often do hedgys need a vet?
I take mine at least twice a year and more if needed.
Aleshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do they get sick often? Do the vet trips cost alot alot?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

a checkup can run 60$ and for any problems (mites, tumors, cancer, swelling, constipation) those vet bills can easily run in the hundreds. One user has payed over $1100 for their hedgie in the last 3 months, and is trying to raise money to remove a tumor. The surgery will cost $650.
azyrios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

As a general rule any animal who has survived basically unchanged for 50 Fifty count them fifty MILLION years isn't prone to sickness. But with any pet things can come up especially in their later years.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok I can make no sence of that. Does that mean the older the hedgehog the more likely he is to get sick? I understand that. I'm hoping to become a small animal vet when I am older. ( I know hedgehogs dont fall into that cattegory but I still want to learn as much as I can about them) Any more advice? Do hedgehogs stink?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They themselves don't stink. They don't emit stinky odors from scent glands like ferrets do. However, their pee and poop sure stink! I've heard that baby hedgehog pee especially smells nasty. I don't remember noticing Lily's smelling that bad when she was little, though maybe I was so enamored with her that I didn't notice?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think that they "especially" stink. All through the first 2 months I've had my hedgie, he's been kept in my room. He's in my room on the weekends when I go home to my mom's house. I do "smell" his scent, but I don't find it especially bad, and it goes away fairly quickly. My hedgie smells like flax seed If that helps any XD But that's just cause I add flax seed oil to his back and his bath rinse.

The generalization is that the older ANY animal is, the more likely they are to get sick. Their immune systems start wearing down, and bones/joints are wearing down, just like they do in humans. If they are taken care of properly(proper food, cage, general maintenance) They should be fine for their youth years. Of course, anything cancerous can always pop up.

Best advice is to read through ALL the stickies on this forum, do a search if you can't find something, then ask again if you still have questions afterwards. There is a lot of great information here, and I spent the first month reading through every single thread on the forum and it really helps.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in