Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   NEW2YOU (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15304)

KAMISMOMMY 03-09-2012 11:00 AM

NEW2YOU

HI!
My name is Bethany. I am a fairly new Hedgie owner. The story of how Kami came to me is kind of sad. One of my co-workers bought Kami as a gift for her daughter. She did not do any research. Her daughter just wanted a hedgehog so that she could say she had one. The first three days that my co-worker had Kami, she was left alone in her cage with no bedding, not even a blanket. She had nothing but a bowl of food. She didn't even think to give her water. My co-worker came to me, knowing that I love animals, and asked me to take Kami. When I asked why, she said "Because she is annoying". I asked her what Kami did that was "annoying". She said that Kami had been climbing the side of her 3 foot tall ferret cage and letting go, dropping to the ground and making a loud thump,over and over. (I assume she was trying to escape, and who could blame her) I did some quick emergency research (using mostly Hedgehog Central) to see what I would need to care for Kami properly. I ran to PetSmart and got Kami the needed accessories, and the next day, I brought her home. I named her Kamikaze, because of the self-destructive tendencies that lead me to have her. She was understandably shy, and extremely terrified at first. But now, she is an amazing animal. I have had her for nearly five months. She doesn't climb the cage anymore, since she has food, water, a bed, bedding, toys, a wheel, and pretty much anything else her heart desires. She comes to work with me 2 or 3 times a week to socialize. She loves coming and playing around on my desk. I think its her favorite time of the week. :)

Rainy 03-09-2012 11:40 AM

Re: NEW2YOU

Welcome! Kami sounds like she's very happy now. So glad you have her. :D

LarryT 03-09-2012 11:47 AM

Kudos to you for saving this poor hog! :D Welcome to the forum so glad to have you! :)

gogrnny1955 03-09-2012 12:06 PM

It is these kinds of posts that make my day.
It was so kind of you to save her from what would have been a slow death.
You will find so much help here just reading the posts.
Now you need a safe wheel for her like the bucket wheel Larry makes.
Keep us posted how she is doing.
Love you take her to work. :P

vasogoma 03-09-2012 06:19 PM

I am very happy for you and Kami, at least you are together now and giving love to each other. Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it here :) Please post some pictures <3

zombiewoman 03-10-2012 03:38 PM

welcome.

Christemo 03-10-2012 04:22 PM

Hiya! :)