Hello from London - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from London

Hi All,

We have recently bought a 7 week old hoglet - we brought him home last night and used this site a lot in order to set up the right environment for him!

We've joined to help anyone out with questions we had and maybe give the uk equivalent of some of the recommendations on here (most of the posts we saw had products from the USA, some of which we couldn't find here), but also for more advice!

Last night Conker itched a lot and I saw some flakes on the fleece today - would like to give him an oatmeal bath to soothe his skin a little, as we've heard this helps, but was advised by the breeder not to bathe him until 10 weeks. Is this what other people have been advised?

Lastly, lighting - he's all set up in our open plan living room with a big bay window - this means he gets natural light. However, should we be regulating the light he gets with artificial light on a timer? Also, when we want to watch tv in the evening, do you think it would be ok to have a lamp on, facing away from him? or does he need complete darkness?

Thanks,
Nikki & Amy
ConkerBrambles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome! I have never heard of waiting until 10 weeks to bathe him. I gave my boy's first bath a two weeks after I got him and I got him when he was two months old and didn't have an issue. Give your hedgehog time to adjust to the new environment first before giving them a bath. It's necessary to set up an artificial light with timer for at least 12-14 hours a day. The weather can be unpredictable and in the winter the days get shorter. When watching tv it's okay to have light on, just try dim the light as much as you can. Congrats on your new baby boy! (:
ConkerBrambles likes this.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks @SquirtleSquirt, we'll get the timer set up on a lamp for him and use a lamp pointing away from the cage when we're watching tv etc.
ConkerBrambles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Would the flakes be spines from quilling?

The light setup I use is a cheap desk lamp and electrical timer, from B&Q.

Personally I would not recommend the timer, it is too complicated to operate. A simple mechanical timer, also from B&Q, should suffice.
smshellard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bath, bathing, hoglet, itching, lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in