Hello, I am Lyric - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Hello, I am Lyric

Hey everyone!

I wanted to register for this website to talk about my experiences, my hedgehogs, and see what others have dealt with.

I hope you are all doing well!

I am 17, genderfluid, and I am extremely passionate about hedgehogs. I hope to be a Small Animal and Exotic Animal Veterinarian and/or a wildlife Veterinarian.

I have had only two hedgehogs in the time that I have known and loved them. My first hedgehog, Hank, I got from a friend after they had him for 2 years. They hadn't done enough research to have a hedgehog, so they fed him bad food, didn't give him a way to exercise, and wouldn't pull him out of the small bin to play with him. He had flaky skin, and sores on his belly from over-grooming. He was terrified almost constantly and I had to wear gloves to hold him for the longest time. Then he opened up and we played a lot. Shortly after I got him we found a lump in his quills and it was discovered that it was cancer. Luckily they removed it and he was fine for about a year. Then an abscess (which we didn't know that it was one at first) grew on his side, pushing out quills, and soon splitting open. He would continue to scratch it and cause it to bleed. Towards the end I discovered that his shoulder was swollen. We took him to the Vet and found out he had cancer. The vet gave him days or weeks, but he stayed happy for 2 months. Finally he stopped going on his wheel and ate very little, and I decided it was time.

Hank passed away on Friday, April 8, 2016 at 4:06pm. He was 3 years old. I miss him everyday. I have his ashes next to my bed.

On to happier things!
On May 13 I got my baby hedgehog, Ivory. She is now almost 8 months old, and was about to turn 2 months when I got her. She is so sweet, but tends to be a little ham. I took her to school yesterday for a project and she was open and kind, but at home she will be colder and very grumpy. She is sitting in a hand towel next to me while I type.

I love her so much and she is very healthy.

I am making my own website to help educate people on hedgehogs, their care, and their history. If any of you have any tips I would love it!

Thanks for reading!!
Lyric Renae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome aboard! Definitely post your website link once it's up and running; I'd love to have a look through it!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Tags
baby, cancer, death, new member, website

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in