Brand new, but in a hurry! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Brand new, but in a hurry!

Hello! I'm ColoredHedgie21, and I'm pretty new to this. I made an account for me and my mom to share, but more importantly, I made one to help my poor hedgie, Pepper!
There are probably a million posts out there about this, and I have never dealt with this seeing as we only got her this Christmas, but I need help on what to do when Pepper isn't eating or drinking. My mom would take her to the vet, but a couple weeks ago we went there and the vet said she was very healthy (Plus the vet is very expensive ). I've researched it, but nothing seems to fit with all the "symptoms" Pepper has. As I said before, Pepper isn't eating or drinking (We had to force her to eat... I really feel terrible about that but we had to!) . She also seems to have lost her sense of higene (Don't know if i spelled that right ) as her fur looks a little yellow (My mom made me give her a warm bath, even though she hates water.) Something else weird is that Pepper is sneezing and sniffling.
One last odd thing is that when I put her next to her food and water (Which I tried moving because I thought maybe she couldn't find it.) she might occasionally (And I do mean it, like, RARELY.) get a drink from her water, but normally she gets close as if she was going to eat/drink it, and then turns around. She really seems to acknowledge it's there but JUST WON'T EAT!!! Please, please help!

Last edited by ColoredHedgie21; 04-12-2016 at 09:00 PM.
ColoredHedgie21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry about the imeadiate asking for help, but I'm really worried!!! (This should probably be in the health section...)
Old 04-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, she really does need to go back to the vet. Sneezing and sniffling means she almost definitely has a URI, a respiratory infection. If it's left untreated, it can quickly turn to pneumonia, which can kill them.

What temperature is her cage? Do you have a thermometer in the cage? Do you have a heating set up for her & if so, what is it?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

To add on, what kind of bedding do you use? I don't have a hedgie yet so I know I'm not an expert lol but I know that some types of bedding, like cedar and other types of wood, can cause respiratory issues do to the dust they produce.
Lilysmommy and RemysMomma41 like this.
SarahBella97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmm... I've read about pneumonia and it usually comes when hedges think it's hibernation time. I can understand that seeing has it's been really cold (I would have warmed it up but my mom thinks it's hot and took her heating fan away). And no, I don't have a thermometer. I usually guess that if it's just a little hotter than I like it, it's perfect for Pepper. She does have a heating source other than the fan, but it's a reptile heating rock I have to keep behind a thin (so that it's still warming her up) wall so she can't get to it and "taste" it. The bedding is probably not the problem here.
Thank you for the helping me/us ! I'll tell my mom about the heating and pneumonia.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

You cannot guess the temperature with a hedgehog and they have a temperature requirement, you cannot assume it's fine and take away their heat source. Also, heating pads or rocks are not recommended, they need warm air and those things don't do that.

You need to read the stickies with the information on this site and learn what is needed to keep a hedgehog you cannot make your own rules (or your mother).

Sometimes they get too comfortable in a hot spot (near the rock) and won't move from there not even to eat or drink.
octopushedge likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

URIs and pneumonia are not always caused by hibernation attempts. Hedgehogs can get them from other things, such as water in the nose from a overzealous drink or in the bath, or even if they don't attempt hibernation, but get too cool or get chilled briefly, that can also cause respiratory issues.

As said above, you need a thermometer for her cage and you need to keep a closer eye on the temperature. It's very likely that not keeping the temperature steadier or having an appropriate heating set up for her cage is what's caused her respiratory issues, even if she hasn't attempted hibernation.

Please make sure your mom understands the importance of taking your hedgehog back to the vet ASAP. We've seen too many cases on here where younger owners have had to rely on parents to take a hedgehog in need to the vet, and the parent doesn't think it's a serious enough situation. This really is a "vet soon" situation.
nikki and ArizonaHazelnut like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lately, she's been eating and drinking, and sneezing less... But she's still sneezing. Nothing's happened though...
Old 04-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I still feed her every once in a while, just to make sure..
I doubt it is the water. I've checked it a few times already. I'm going to clean her cage to. Just to let you know, we would take her back to the vet if we could, but vets are so expensive. We don't have the money. I'll still tell my mom to at least get a thermometer..

Last edited by ColoredHedgie21; 04-20-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are you in America?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in