Hello everyone....(a newbie) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello everyone....(a newbie)

Hi everyone! My name is stephanie and I am 30 years old. I just got my first Hedgehog, Michael about 1 week ago. I got him from a local breeder in Chicago. He is a wonderful hedge. He never balls up, however he does huff and jump up when I go to pick him up. He never bites or anything and stops as soon and I lift him out in his blankie. My question is will he ever outgrow the huffing and jumping or will he always do this? Thanks and I look forward to getting to know all of you! Here are some pics of Michael I thought Id share...

stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hello everyone....(a newbie)

Welcome to HHC! Michael is a cutie.

The hissing and jumping you describe is pretty normal. Some hedgies are friendly enough where they won't do that (or at least not often), but a lot of them stay skittish and take a minute to wake up and become friendly.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh my god he is absolutely precious!

Bella did that for about a week after getting her and then grew out of it. I just handled her a lot and put one of my shirts in her cage to sleep on so she could get used to my smell and not be so afraid when I would go to pick her up.
Sara&Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

He is a cutie!...out of curiousity..what is the food you're feeding him?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you everyone! His color drew me to him, although I was looking for a friendly hedgie first off. I am not breeding him, so I was more interested in his temperament than anything....

@ sara&marshal- I will do that! I never thought of anything like that and since today didnt know a forum existed, and the books never suggested that... Thanks!

@nikki- I feed him a mix of foods, recommended by my breeder until hes 6 months old- they are royal canin baby cat, iams kitten, eukanuba, science diet, zoo vital hedgehog and spikes delight.... I am also giving him 4 mealworms everyday and every other day his water is blended with a couple drops of vitamins... is that not okay? I will switch to whatever is healthiest. I am also a hamster owner so I know that being healthy is more important that price of food...

Also, Michael is in a 120 quart bin. I use fleece for the lining, as the breeder told me that was best also. I made him my own sleeping bags, but he isnt interested in them. Hes more interested in burying himself under the liners. He has a huge comfort wheel (I think 12")- bigger than the hamster ones, and a ushaped wood hidey spot which he loves. I use a heating pad to maintain his temp around 75 degrees....
Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You'll probably want to take the Zoo Vital food out of the mix. It's got raisins and things that are harmful for African hedgies. I'm not sure about the rest of those cat foods, but I don't think Science Diet is one of the better ones to feed them...
The heating pad is good, but don't forget to make sure the air temperature is warm too. You can use a ceramic heat emitter or a space heater for that.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
You'll probably want to take the Zoo Vital food out of the mix. It's got raisins and things that are harmful for African hedgies. I'm not sure about the rest of those cat foods, but I don't think Science Diet is one of the better ones to feed them...
The heating pad is good, but don't forget to make sure the air temperature is warm too. You can use a ceramic heat emitter or a space heater for that.
I agree please take out the zoo vital it's realy bad! Also take a look at the food section of the forum to make sure the cat food is the best to be feeding him! Oh and welcome!!!!
Aleshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy

the royal canin is the only one you have that is even close, and it is probably a little high in fat. I would go to the dry cat food list and pick from there, the rest of the ones you have are a lot of artificial ingredients, high in corn and by products and the like
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

hmm... I cant believe a breeder wouldnt feed her hedgies properly. I will go and remake his mix... however I already mixed all his stuff and put it in a sterilite container. I do that for my hamsters mix too. What do I do with that? Just throw it all away? I will definetly check on those foods, maybe I can donate this mix to a shelter for cats? The zoo vital - which is impossible to pick out of the mix- shouldnt be bad for cats right?

My house is always at least 70degrees and I actually have a thermometer in my room - where michael is kept- to make sure of it. I would hate to have him hibernate.

last night we were sitting on the couch watching tv while MIchael was out, and he crawled onto me and fell asleep... it was the cutest thing ever! Im hoping, based on how he was sleeping, he trusts me and is okay. He huffed a little, but it isnt as much as the night before. I also cut up a shirt I used to wear and put part of it in his hidey with him.
Here is Michael sleeping

Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Giving the mix to cats would be fine! The reason you can't give zoo vital is that the grapes and seeds are toxic to the hedgie also they can choke on the the raisins. But a mix of two good cat foods would be so much better for your baby and he will love you for it!!!!! By the way he is soooo cute I miss when bella and eddy where that little.
Aleshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in