First Time Hedgie Owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Time Hedgie Owner

So, after owning a hedgehog for a month and lurking for much longer, I decided it was finally time to come out and join the HHC community! Most of what I know about my little guy, Ryder, I found from browsing the forum. Here's my little guy, who's around two and a half, three months old. (I keep forgetting to message the breeder for his exact birthday )

So, our situation is kind of, well, odd. My boyfriend and I are seniors in highschool and as of last week, we've been together for three years. We were considering getting a hedgehog once we were older and were able to live together. Then we did some research, fell in love with the perfect little guy, and figured, "why wait?" Sadly, my family's rent agreement doesn't allow exotic pets, so keeping Ryder here was out of the question. So, he lives with my boyfriend, Caleb, who takes him out every night to play. My job is mostly cleaning up after him. Go figure. (God forbid boys clean). but it's worth it for my hedgie. I'm over at their house every morning before school and I take Ryder out to play for about ten minutes. He always says goodmorning by attempting to annoint me. Silly hedgie! I spray his wheel out every other day with a power house, along with the kiddie pool he uses for a play pen. We have an XL Rabbit cage that we weaved screen through to keep him from climbing. We feed him Nuture cat food and are going this weekend to buy him some crickets and mealies to freeze, as he shows NO interest in fruits and veggies. His bedding is a pine bedding, but we may switch to fleece soon. His cage has an igloo, lots of flannel baby blankets, a tunnel, wheel, hamster bed, and food/ water dishes. We gave him his first oatmeal bath last week and he appears to be inbetween quillings. He's still pretty skittish around us and turns into a hissy ball of quills at the slightest movement. But, he's perfect!

Anyways, we were just stopping by to say hi!. We can't wait to make plenty of new friends here.

Also, I have a few questions about freezing crickets? It is okay to freeze them, right? I just can't bear the thought of crickets hopping everytwhere! And how long can I keep frozen crickets for?
Thanks so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryder3.jpg (61.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ryder4.jpg (25.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ryder5.jpg (25.7 KB, 37 views)
Emaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: First Time Hedgie Owner

What a cute little cactusball! He really is gorgeous though, and I bet he'll relax a bit more, given time. His little nose peeking out in the last picture is adorable. You guys sound like great parents, and we're glad to have you here!

I freeze crickets as well, because Lily's not really the best hunter, and I discovered that I like hiding the thawed crickets in her cage for her to find. It's gotten her to be a bit more active and explore her cage more. I've had the current batch for at least a month...Not sure how long exactly. I just check them over before I take them out to give her, make sure they're not freezer-burned or have black bellies (which means they're no good, died before being frozen). I have found that after awhile (a week or two), their legs will start sticking to the container and I end up with quite a few legless crickets, which makes it a bit harder to hide them, since I usually hold them by their big back legs. Their bodies get all gross and squishy when they're thawed out!

Welcome to HHC, and we can't wait to see more pictures!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a video of my baby Setzer and all my hedgies do this in the bath tub I let loose some live crickets and they run and hunt them and really enjoy themselves others who do it report their hedgies even purring in excitement.

It takes them awhile to get it and some will only do it in the dark but its nice to let them get their hunt on if they have the instincts
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaline
My job is mostly cleaning up after him. Go figure. (God forbid boys clean).
Story of my life. My hedgie doesn't live with my boyfriend, but my boyfriend spends a lot of time with him on weekends. The one time I asked him to help me clean the cage (and not even to do any REAL cleaning, just to hand me the darn poopy wheel), he gave me this look like I was asking him to do something horrible like kill his grandmother.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice and warm welcomes. Here are so more pictures of Ryder, where he isn't so grumpy. There were too many to attach them in the original post and I ran out of time before I had to go to work yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryder.jpg (102.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ryder2.jpg (41.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg ryder3.jpg (61.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

And some more
Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Welcome to HHC! Ryder is adorable, love his dark mask and quills.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think we've decided he's an Algerian color. Either gray or chocolate. I can't really tell.
Ryder was a spikey ball of angry this morning when I woke him up to say Hi before school. He had probably just went to bed though, so that explains a lot. Tonight I'm going to try to get him some mealies or crickets to freeze, although it depends on if my boyfriend's mom is okay with us keeping bugs in her freezer. I can see where she might say no. His cage gets cleaned today and he gets a foot bath. Yay.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Awe. Look at how tiny he is.....(babies...so cute!) He is gorgeous! Welcome both of you to HHC!

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

He's very cute! Welcome to you both. We haven't given Fitch bugs yet, but he really enjoys pear and apples a lot. All hedgies are different so if your boyfriend's mother won't let you keep bugs, try other snacks to see what he likes.

muchnessintact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in