Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   My New Albino Hedgehog Rescue (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11789)

Foxigirl 08-20-2011 01:18 AM

My New Albino Hedgehog Rescue

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I got a new hedgehog from the SPCA yesterday. :D He is a 3 year old albino. We named him Flocke (snowflake in German). Previous name was Mr. Prickles. The previous owner was feeding him 1 TBSP of cat treats, Temptations, per day. :cry: He is only 340 grams. He is very underweight as I think he would be a very large hedgie with proper food. They also did not keep him in a cage, he had the roam of the house. I would be so scared something would happen to him to do that.

Flocke gave us quite a time last night. I always put the new hedgie and his cage in our bedroom for his 30 day incubation period and mostly I just hear him wheeling and eating during the night. It kind of reassures me that they are okay. But Flocke was so extremely active. He ate and ate and ate. and then wheeled and wheeled and wheeled. Which was okay, but he kept getting under the liner and tipped over the water and food dish and was banging the wheel against the side of the cage. We had to get up several times and refill his water dish and food. And rescue him out from under the liner. Boy I never saw a hedgie so active. I"m not complaining just amazed. I can't wait to eventually get him into a C&C cage. Might even give him a 2 story one as I think he would enjoy it. I'll copy the ones off the forums and make it totally hedgie safe.

Flocke is my 5th rescue, but I currently have 4 hedgies. I've owned 9 hedgies over the past 15 years. The rest have passed on to the rainbow bridge.

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful inputs on the forums. It helps me to learn and to improve the life of my hedgies. :)
Hedgie hugs to everyone,
Robin (Hedgie Mama)

ReginasMommy 08-20-2011 01:48 AM

Re: My New Albino Hedgehog Rescue

Aww, he's beautiful! And it's so awesome that you took him in! I love when hedgies find great new forever homes that will properly care for them :) I can't wait to see more pics of your new little guy!

PRINCESSDANGER13 08-20-2011 01:48 AM

That's an AWESOME name... I wish I knew German (I am half German) :( ..... He looks cool... I always wanted an albino one (but a girl) .... but I am still waiting for the ok from the parent's (which is agony!).... Temptations as in cat snacks?? I used to feed those to my 2 cats (sadly both past away last year) but ain't those bad for a hedgehog?

Rainy 08-20-2011 06:39 AM

Awe. Flocke is beautiful! I bet you're so happy to have him. If he had run of the house before, chances were that he didn't have a wheel and the whole experience is new to him. About the food, like you said, he was really underweight and he's probably starved and thankful that you're feeding him so well. I'm not an expert on nutrition and maybe someone else more knowledgeable can answer this, but should you just gradually increase his food. I'm just thinking about tummy aches and vomiting from eating so voraciously.

I can help with the liner thing (I hope). I just got Izzy and she liner dove. She used to have pine bedding. I switched her to liners and she would tear them up every day. When I put a dirty shirt in there for her to get used to my scent, she went from tearing up liners to diving into my shirt. It helped us.

Thank you for giving that beautiful babe a forever home!!

LizardGirl 08-20-2011 11:05 AM

Thank goodness you have him now where he'll be cared for properly! He's so cute. :)

panda 08-20-2011 11:35 AM

i love him! he is gorgeous.. cant wait to see & hear more about him :D

LarryT 08-20-2011 12:16 PM

He is adorable :D just like all albinos are. :) Sounds like he is in good hands now. :D

PJM 08-20-2011 12:29 PM

Awwwe - what a cutie! I am really starting to love albinos!

I'm sure he will be very happy with you. :D

ProjectParanoia 08-20-2011 12:51 PM

He sounds great! I'm so happy for the both of you :)