My Three Super Cute Hedgehogs! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2015, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Three Super Cute Hedgehogs!

I've always come to this website to read over other people's posts to get ideas and information, but I have a few un-answered questions of my own now so now I'm here!

I wanted to introduce my hedgehogs to everyone...

There's Solara, my 1 and a half year old hedgehog who acts like the motherly figure. She's salt and peppered colored with a dark bandit mask. Super cute
She's pretty much in perfect health. I got her from a breeder when she was a year old because they didn't want to use her for breeding due to her genetics. (she had a grandparent with WHS ) She's lost so much weight since I got her. Which is good! Because she was overweight originally.

IMG_6846.jpg

Then, there's Kovu. My 7 month old male who IS obese. I don't really know why. All my hedgehogs that i've ever had have been perfect weight but he is just MASSIVE. He does have some health concerns in my opinion. I took him to the vet and they charged me 250 dollars for a "everything seems ok" report. so now I'm left to figure it out on my own. He has very dry and flakey skin, and his ears are completely tattered and torn. I don't want to give him ivermectin anymore after hearing what it can do to hedgehogs. So right now I'm still trying to figure out what to do. (Tips are appreciated and welcome!)

IMG_6233.jpg

Last but not least, there's piper. She's my crazy one. She's going on 5 months old and she is super curious and loves to explore. But with that, she always manages to get herself dirty in her cage, and at one point ran on her wheel so much she lost the padding on her foot! (I treated this with Polysporin and it healed wonderfully!) She's super sweet and friendly, but always getting into things. She's extremely small, but healthy.

DSC_1230.jpg

and let's not forget Nala, my first hedgehog who I lost to what appeared to be cancer after 2 and a half years. She lives on though, you can google her name ("nala the hedgehog") and see all her cute pictures from when she was with us.

B9SOHcDIgAAr2XK.jpg

I have a huge passion for these precious creatures and am always wanting to learn more to perfect my care for them. So I'm glad to be apart of this community now where I can learn more from other hedgehog owners.
taylorndean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Try treating Kovu with Revolution. Every 2 weeks for 3 doses. See if that clears up the dry, flaky skin and tattered ears. If not I would take him back to the vet for fungal/bacterial cultures. I just went through this with my little girl and she's on the mend.
PrincessPuffinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessPuffinsMom View Post
Try treating Kovu with Revolution. Every 2 weeks for 3 doses. See if that clears up the dry, flaky skin and tattered ears. If not I would take him back to the vet for fungal/bacterial cultures. I just went through this with my little girl and she's on the mend.
Thank you I will try that!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to happyhedgierents

i've also had noticed some dry skin with my hedgie when we first got him. We tried Aveeno Lightly Scented Wash & Baby Shampoo, you can find it at your local Walmart for about 7.00 maybe a little more depending on your store for the small bottle. It worked so well with our baby. He seemed to be more relaxed after his baths, happier, and his quills were super soft after his baths too! ours lasted a year and thats with bathing him 2-3 times a week. Just fill the sink, put 2 squirts of it in the water and done! hope that helps. BJ's usually has deals all the time with this shampoo going on.

Below is the link for the Walmart price:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aveeno-Lig...ingMethod=p13n
taylorndean likes this.

happyhedgierents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have this charm on my iPad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.9 KB, 23 views)
OscarTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheHedgie View Post
I have this charm on my iPad
my baby! I love seeing that picture resurface <3
Old 09-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhedgierents View Post
i've also had noticed some dry skin with my hedgie when we first got him. We tried Aveeno Lightly Scented Wash & Baby Shampoo, you can find it at your local Walmart for about 7.00 maybe a little more depending on your store for the small bottle. It worked so well with our baby. He seemed to be more relaxed after his baths, happier, and his quills were super soft after his baths too! ours lasted a year and thats with bathing him 2-3 times a week. Just fill the sink, put 2 squirts of it in the water and done! hope that helps. BJ's usually has deals all the time with this shampoo going on.

Below is the link for the Walmart price:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aveeno-Lig...ingMethod=p13n

I'm definitely going to look into trying that! I've given him oatmeal baths in the past but saw no improvement. Maybe this product will do the trick!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Was your big fella always big?? I just got an "8 week old" so they say and he's just huge. He appears to be quilling so it makes me think he's young but size wise he seems like an adult. Trying to convince myself I wasn't scammed and he can just me my little "big" baby boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1443832798980.jpg (109.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg image_1443832824016.jpg (112.8 KB, 23 views)
FutureHedgieMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorndean View Post
He has very dry and flakey skin, and his ears are completely tattered and torn. I don't want to give him ivermectin anymore after hearing what it can do to hedgehogs. So right now I'm still trying to figure out what to do. (Tips are appreciated and welcome!)
Hi there,

I have been at my vet's just yesterday and asked him about dry skin. Treating it with oil did not really result in any long-term improvements. The vet explained to me that treating externally may actually worsen the skin's dryness. The easiest way to treat is supposed to be dripping their kibbles with a little bit of safflower oil. Maybe it will help you, too.
taylorndean likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureHedgieMomma View Post
Was your big fella always big?? I just got an "8 week old" so they say and he's just huge. He appears to be quilling so it makes me think he's young but size wise he seems like an adult. Trying to convince myself I wasn't scammed and he can just me my little "big" baby boy.
he wasn't always big. Yours does look a little big for 8 weeks. Here's kovu at 9 weeks g.jpg

They go through Quilling more than once in their life! yours doesn't look chubby to me though, just larger than a baby would be. Did you get him from a well known breeder?

Tags
hedgehog, new member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in