Future Hedgehog Owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Future Hedgehog Owner

Hi I Am Sarah. My Friend's Call Me Kelso. I Always Wanted A Hedgehog As A Pet Since I Was Like 10 (I Always Thought They Were Awesome). First Time I Ever Saw One Was At A Petsmart A Long Time Ago When I Was Younger. I Am 22. College Student. Currently Living Still At Home. First Time Aunt To My Almost 2 Year Niece. I Been Wanting This Animal For About 12 Years Now Because I Have A Glass Figure With An Apple On Its Head From Way Back And My Recent Ex/Best Friend Bought Me An Stuff Animal One From The Zoo (Was Suppose To Get Me A Real One ! But That'z Another Story ). I Live In Chicago, IL (Anyone Know Any Good / Trust Worthy Breeders In My Area? I Live Like In The Actual City). I've Recently Finally Told My Mom I Want A Hedgehog As Pet And Showed Her All the Research I've Done Since I Was 18 From What I Learned From Reading On Here, Youtube Videoes, And Other Links. She Was Surprised It At How Much I Knew. She Actually Thinks Hedgehogs Cute Which Was A Shock To Me As For My Dad He Thinks The Like Rats Or Something! I Got My Mom Almost Convinced In Letting Me Get One.... I Don't Know How She's Gotta Get My Dad To Agree Because That's Hard. I Used To Have 2 Cats And 1 Dog All Passed Away Over The Years. Its Might Be Awhile Until I Get A Hedgehog As A Pet But I Want To Be Prepared. Any Input Is Welcome To Prepared Me

Questions:

1.) What's A Good Cage And Bedding?
2.) What's The Best But Non Expensive Food To Feed To Them?
3.) Good Heater And Thermometer?
4.) Good Type Of Wheel?
5.) What Should I Look For As In A Vet?
6.) Is Being 22 To Old To Have A Hedgehog As A Pet?
PRINCESSDANGER13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Future Hedgehog Owner

Welcome!
1. C&C cage is recommended with fleece bedding.
2. It really all depends where you get your food, I would go through the list then look at store prices to determine that.
3. Zoo Med 500R and a 100-150 CHE setup.
4. CSW or CSBW
5. A vet that is knowledgeable and it willing to discuss new things without forcing you to get a specific treatment. (such as Ivermectin)
6. No not unless you think so, many people here are 18 and older.
kelybely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

1) A C&C, or large guinea pig cage... or the Critter Nation/Ferret Nation Most people here use fleece because it's clean, easy to wash, and doesn't get stuck on the hedgie's boy/girl parts.

2) You want to look for holistic cat foods with meat as their first ingredient, and no corn. You're looking around 30% protein, less than 15% fat and as much fiber as you can get.... So try shopping around in your area

3) The best form of heating, imo, is a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) with a thermostat... One of the cheapest thermostats out there is the Reptitemp 500R. Make sure to have a separate digital thermometer in the cage too!

4) A good type of wheel would be the Carolina Storm Wheel, or the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel, sold by LarryT on this forum. Or you could purchases the largest comfort wheel, which is fine too.

5) In a vet, you should look for experience with hedgehogs, and maybe question them on the diet of hedgehogs, etc. You could also ask for recommendations by other HHC members who live in your area.

6) 22 is not at all old for a hedgehog! I find that hedgehogs are much more of an 16+ pet, imo.. just because they are not always the easiest to handle or care for

Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey, welcome to the forums. I'm in the northwest suburbs, and I'll be honest with you...there aren't a whole lot of great breeders around us. There are a few, but from what I've heard on this website they are questionable. (Please under NO circumstances buy a hedgehog from the breeder "Hedgehogs By Vickie".) There may be a few in Wisconsin and there is Millermeade Farms in Ohio that is highly recommended. There is also the option of buying from another out of state breeder and having a baby shipped to you, although this can be pretty expensive.

Honestly, a better option for you may be to look for a hedgehog that needs a new home. There are tons of postings on websites like Ebay Classifieds and Craigslist in Illinois. I was originally looking for a breeder, but decided to adopt someone else's hedgie instead. I'm picking him up in less than 2 weeks.

And 22 is definitely not too old for a hedgehog. I turned 22 yesterday

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thankz Everybody For Your Help!.... I Can't Wait Until I Get Mine Hedgie Soon Hopefully..... If I Need To Know Anything Else.... You More Welcome To Tell Me Because I Wanna To Know All I Can Before I Get One

@lehaley: Happy Belated BDay And How Old Is Your Hedgie Going To Be?.... I Looked At Craigslist Nothing Really Come Up As For Ebay Classifieds There's A Breeder Who Is In Villa Park Ever Heard Of Them?.... Which Part Of The Northwest Surburbs You Live In?

Sorry I Got Another Question For Everybody.....

Is It Easier To Get A Hedgehog When Its Younger Or Older? I Mean By If Its A Baby Does It Get Use To You Quicker Then Like A Older One? I Know It Take Time For Both But Is It Better Get The Hedgehog As a Baby So It Could Build A Relationship Oppose To An Older Who Esbilish One With Its Previous Owner? (I Was Just Wondering)
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCESSDANGER13
Thankz Everybody For Your Help!.... I Can't Wait Until I Get Mine Hedgie Soon Hopefully..... If I Need To Know Anything Else.... You More Welcome To Tell Me Because I Wanna To Know All I Can Before I Get One

@lehaley: Happy Belated BDay And How Old Is Your Hedgie Going To Be?.... I Looked At Craigslist Nothing Really Come Up As For Ebay Classifieds There's A Breeder Who Is In Villa Park Ever Heard Of Them?.... Which Part Of The Northwest Surburbs You Live In?

Sorry I Got Another Question For Everybody.....

Is It Easier To Get A Hedgehog When Its Younger Or Older? I Mean By If Its A Baby Does It Get Use To You Quicker Then Like A Older One? I Know It Take Time For Both But Is It Better Get The Hedgehog As a Baby So It Could Build A Relationship Oppose To An Older Who Esbilish One With Its Previous Owner? (I Was Just Wondering)
I Forgot To Add Where Do I Find The C&C Cage At?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! I'm in Arlington Heights, but I spend most of the year at Illinois State in Normal. I actually haven't picked up my hedgie yet. I'm adopting him from a girl I found on Ebay Classifieds in Rockford who doesn't have enough time for him. She said he was somewhere between 3 and 4 months old, so he's still a baby. I'm going to be bringing him home sometime next weekend. I haven't heard of any breeders in Villa Park, but maybe you should give them a call. You might also want to try expanding your search to include Southern Wisconsin as well. I was staying with my boyfriend in Madison when I started looking for my hedgehog and at the time there were a few ads for hedgies needing new homes around the Milwaukee area I believe. It took me a few weeks to find my little guy. If you decide you're really interested in the idea of adopting a hedgie, you should get in contact with the Hedgehog Welfare Society. You can give them your information and they will let you know if there are hedgehogs in your area or within driving distance that need to be adopted. I was just about to sign up with them when I found my hedgehog.

Here's the link to their website if you'd like to check it out: http://hedgehogwelfare.org/

Quote:
I think this largely depends on the temperament of the hedgehog in question. From what I've heard, bonding with an older hedgehog from a different owner can be a bit of the challenge. If a hedgie is coming to you from a home where he/she was rarely handled or not properly taken care of, it will probably be more difficult for them to warm up to you. However, the same can be said about bonding with babies from a breeder. A lot of people on this website say that chances are the hedgehog will never behave the exact same way with you as it did with the breeder. You should also keep in mind that the quilling process can affect a hedgehog's personality. It's kind of like teething in an infant. Young hedgies get incredibly huffy and moody when they are going through quilling, and from what I've read on this website, sometimes their entire personality can change because of it. I've read posts from people who brought incredibly friendly hedgies home, then they went through quilling and became complete grumps. In that same breadth, some hedgehogs never become completely friendly whether you've had them since they were very young or not.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
C&C stands for cubes and coroplast, and they are usually do-it-yourself cages. The walls of the cage are made up of wire storage cubes that can be found at places like Wal-mart or Target and the base of the cage is made of coroplast (corrugated plastic sheets) that can be found at Home Depot or a sign store.

Here's an example of cubes: http://www.target.com/mdp/B000789RSQ/re ... B000789RSQ

Here's an example of what coroplast looks like: http://www.coroplast.com/

You can find a ton of pictures of these cages on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860

Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehaley
Quote:
C&C stands for cubes and coroplast, and they are usually do-it-yourself cages. The walls of the cage are made up of wire storage cubes that can be found at places like Wal-mart or Target and the base of the cage is made of coroplast (corrugated plastic sheets) that can be found at Home Depot or a sign store.

Here's an example of cubes: http://www.target.com/mdp/B000789RSQ/re ... B000789RSQ

Here's an example of what coroplast looks like: http://www.coroplast.com/

You can find a ton of pictures of these cages on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860

You want to try for the grids that have 9 rows of squares across if possible, never get the 5 large square grids.

Target sells a 19.99 set but its part 5 by 6 grids and 8 by 8 grids in my area.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

@ lehaley: Thank You A Ton For All Your Help I Appreciate It Lot! ..... Lucky You Don't Live That Far From Woodfield Mall I Love It There HAHA!..... I Would Most Def Start Looking In Wisconsin Its Like My Second Home From Chicago (Vacation There A Lot As I Grew Up).... I Am Hoping My Mom Talks My Dad Into Letting Me Have One So Its Kind Of Tricky Because I Attend College Not To Far From My House... Being 22 And Being Under There Rules Is Tough Since They Are Very Different Sides With Opinion Towards This Amazing Critter..... I Am Keeping My Fingers Cross For Getting It Sometime Next Year Hopefully

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in