Dead baby with face missing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dead baby with face missing

Yep, unfortunately you read the title right I'm pretty upset

Today is two weeks since the babies have been born. I haven't heard any squeaks in a week but I can hear them nursing when I go in the room to feed her.
I still haven't peeked becuase I'm trying to wait until I see Nikki out of the nest eating before I take a look. I'm really going to try today.

So, I went into Nikki's room to feed her at about 8am and I seen a dead baby that seems to be missing some of it's face (not a great way to start the morning)it was on the opposite side of the cage that her nest is on.
The thing is.... I'm pretty sure it has been there a while, the body is black in color and about the size of a 2 or 3 day old hoglet(I'm guessing). I never smelled it?? I assume it was under the bedding and happend to get uncovered last night.

My happy, exciting first litter has took a horriable turn. I feel like it's the baby that I put back in the nest on night two. Now I'm worried that there is going to be more.
I'm wondering if I did the right thing, putting the baby back into the nest after only 35-40 minutes on the 2nd night?? (my breeder told me I needed to)

I attached a picture below of the baby. I think this proves a point for others wanting to breed. Even if you try and do everything right and think everything's going well, out of the blue horriable things can happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (127.4 KB, 152 views)
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I agree, it doesn't look recent but it's odd it didn't smell.

Your breeder was right to say to put baby back. This might be the same baby and there may have been something wrong with it, or it might be a different baby. Everything we do with a new mom is a judgement call. We never know how mom will react and in a case like this, putting baby back may have had nothing at all to do with what happened. We have to do what we think is best at the time, and usually that is to put baby back.

What type of nest box are you using? Can you peek without disturbing the nest? If so, I'd start by taking a look at mom and babies. Some moms will never come out to eat when we are around or if they are out, they run back to the nest.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not going to take a close look at the photo. I have seen enough horrible things in life that I don't need to go looking for them.
Nancy is right though. And all any of us can do is our best. And you did your best. Have a little faith that, since you know there are other hoglets in the nest, that your momma hog felt there was something wrong with this one and did her duty.
You know Sebastian started with 8, right? It's a blooming miracle the I had 4 survivors. The breeder who helped me and knew the entire circumstance only expected one or two. And honestly I think she really didn't expect any. Sebastian was only around 3 months old when we brought her home and it was a week later that she littered.
Since your momma hasn't gone on a rampage just believe that she is doing what she needs to do and have faith in her. Hedgehogs have been doing this for a very long time.

And I'm so sorry you had to wake up to that. It's horrible. I know.
CoffeeKat and ellisrks01 like this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also thanks for posting. Too many people think that breeding is all fun and babies. It's good to have someone as honest as you who is not afraid to show the bad things that can happen.

That being said good luck with the rest of the litter and assume that mom is doing the best she can. I can't wait to see pictures of the little ones!
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
What type of nest box are you using? Can you peek without disturbing the nest? If so, I'd start by taking a look at mom and babies. Some moms will never come out to eat when we are around or if they are out, they run back to the nest.
It's weird because the day I put the baby back, they all started squeaking loud when I walked close to the cage and mama seen me put it back and looked kinda skittish and tried to grab the baby right away.

I'm using the same type of nest box you used. It's a dark colored bin with a 4" hole cut out, with a 2"lip on bottom so the babies can't get out. It does not have a lid/top on it because she kept knocking it off before the babies arrived. So all I have to do is lift her 1' x 1' blanket up.
I'll just take a look in a few. She is great tempered and has been handled by me every single night since she was young. It just seems like she has been skittish and weird since 3 -4 day before the babies arrived. Which is understandable.

I'll update once I check
Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default It gets worse

Well, my day just got worse.
I took a quick peek while talking softly to Nikki and only seen one baby. I may have surprised her when I slowly lifted the blanket up but she was fine, not skittish and poked her head up at me. I set the blanket down slowly after I seen the one baby and left the room.

I guess first time mom wasn't doing as well as I thought. I'm so disappointed right now. When I put the baby back I seen 2 or 3 others in corner of the nest.
I doubt something was wrong with that many babies right? Maybe it was just too much for her and she didn't know what to do at the time. Even though she seemed to be doing good. We"ll never know for sure . I can't beilve Nikki did that but I was fully aware of what could happen from the beginning . I'm just glad mom seems to be healthy and in good shape, and eating great.

worse part of all I'm missing my hang out buddy, a bunch!

Last edited by ellisrks01; 09-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm so sorry. Although we might not understand what happened, I'm sure there was some reason behind Nikki's actions.
You did everything you could. From your posts, it sounded like you were as educated as you could be and were asking for help when you were unsure.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm so sorry sweetie.
As to if something was wrong with all of them, I don't have an answer. She is a first time mom and possibly she didn't know what to do. I also learned, during my own cram course on breeding, that some females just aren't great moms. Maybe Nikkis future isn't in motherhood. Maybe she is just supposed to be a companion.
I don't pretend to know or understand to meaning of life in general. And hedgehogs baffle me completely. I guess because I only had cats and dogs growing up, and there was never a pregnancy.
I'm glad Nikki is healthy. I'm carefully hopeful that there is still one hoglet. I'll keep the babe in my thoughts.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

First time moms are always unpredictable. Some of them are great, others not at all. She may have felt she couldn't handle more than one, or perhaps she didn't have enough milk for all, or any number of reasons. We can't ever predict what will happen with a first time mom.

I'm sorry this happened. It's heartbreaking, but the main thing is, Nikki is okay.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default More body parts in nest

I think I figured a out a trick to get Nikki out of her nest. I just went into her room with some mealies and lifted her blanket up to take another peek. Once she looked at me I dropped a couple mealies infront of her. she finished eating them she ran out of the nest looking for more. So I put about 20 (yes 20 she eats them fast) in front of her and took my first real good look into her nest.

I seen two very little pieces of another baby in the nest, in bedding. What the heck, how did I not smell anything with dead babies and baby pieces in the cage? I'm totally flabbergasted!
But anyways, I took the two pieces out and had a good look at the one baby left.
It's very cute I didn't take pictures yet because I was just worried about getting the body parts out of the nest and checking out the other baby quickly.

You can't tell color right now(I'm bad at colors anyways) but the baby seemed too have a pretty dark mask and light brown quills with some noticeable pinto spots.
I've never had the pleasure to see or be around hog babys this young but it seems to be a pretty big baby in my eyes. Maybe becuase he's getting all her milk to himself.

Well everyone, I just wanted to keep updating. I'll take my phone in with me and snap a picture this week sometime. I believe I will keep this baby as a "pet only" if it makes it.
Nancy, nikki, Lilysmommy and 4 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in