Age? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DesireeM81
  • 3 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Age?

So I bought a five month old Hedgie from the pet store a few weeks ago, and my mom just adopted a two and a half year old yesterday. Although I'm not read to breed anytime soon and not 100% sure if I will breed at all! I'm wondering if age makes a difference? My Hedgie is the same breed as my moms, I also have a champagne 1 year old but we wanted to breed the same breed just concerned about the ages? Would it be a big deal that mines still 2 years younger than my moms?
GothicBreena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Your hedgehog is a boy and your moms is a girl?

2 and half years is at the limit of breeding a female. Most breeders don't breed past two and half years. Also if she has never had babies before she cannot be bred after a year old. It has something to do with the pelvis. I'm not exactly sure. And I am only reiterating information that I have read.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I have the boy and my mom had the girl, obviously since I have read up on the breeding I'd be staying there while it takes place and watching her etc.. But I will have to have my mom check and see if she's ever been bred or not. My mom adopted her from a coworker who really didn't give much information other than her age, her name is Maleka and that's pretty much it. She gave her all her things and that was that.. So my mom would have to ask if she's ever had a litter.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I wouldn't breed either of them. It doesn't sound like you have the pedigrees for either hedgehog, so you have no clue what their genetic background is like. It's very possible that they could have genetic issues that could get passed on to their babies, like WHS. If you want to breed hedgehogs, it would be better to take your time, do lots of research on it, and get breeding quality hedgehogs from an established, reputable breeder. It does no one any good, least of all the hedgehogs, if you breed babies that could develop WHS, which is a devastating illness. We do our best here to discourage irresponsible breeding & encourage research and preparation before breeding at all.

That all said, please make sure that you keep both hedgehogs separated at all times. Hedgehogs can mate very quickly, and you cannot have them both out at the same time unless you have one person per hedgehog, holding them. They can't have playtime together, and you'll want to make sure their cages are escape-proof. It's quite easy to keep male & female hedgehogs in the same household with no "oops" incidents.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Do you have pedigrees on them? You need to be sure there is no WHS in their genetic background as it is a genetic disease and can skip generations. Two and half years old is to old to be breeding. At that age she's more likely to have complications and may not even be able to conceive.
Lilysmommy and DesireeM81 like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

They are both in separate cages, that are fully escape proof. They are both located in totally different locations of the house, as my champagne Hedgie is at my moms currently. We also don't handle them without washing our hands thoroughly and without putting a new clean towel down for each so their smell doesn't get on us causing the male to get riled up, and the female to start to ovulate from his scent. Might be me just being too cautious but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Don't need either having issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in