Emergency baby advice - Page 12 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #111 (permalink)

Exclamation Unexpected Hedgie Babies

I took my year and a half old hedgehog Zelda home about 6 days ago, and she had babies 3 days ago. I didn't know she was pregnant and the person who I got her from allegedly didn't either. Since I was unaware of the situation i've been trying to read up on it more and make sure that i'm acting in the way that's best for Zelda and her babies. I've been really stressed about it and I just wanted to check in and make sure that i'm doing everything that I possibly can to help.
First of all, the cage that I had the mother in was already in my room. If I would have known she was going to have babies I would have moved her to a more private and quiet area. I'm doing everything that I can to be quiet and keep her comfortable, but I worry that my presence will make her anxious regardless. The first thing that I did was remove her wheel. Also I've been leaving her completely alone besides checking on her water once in the morning and feeding her and giving her fresh water at night. The momma seems to be comfortable for the most part and she made a nice nest for her babies out of everything that was in the cage along with small pieces of paper towel that I put in the cage.

I am just looking for critique on what i'm doing and any tips on what else to do. I would also like to know what typical mother behavior is after having babies. Earlier she was outside of the nest, and I couldn't see any babies and I was wondering if they have the tendency to hide their young?' Thanks for any feedback.
Zeldaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #112 (permalink)
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Just keep doing what you've been doing and everything should be fine.

Yes mom's will often hide their babies when they leave the nest so that is normal. It sounds like she's a normal mom and is doing what she needs to do.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 AM   #113 (permalink)
KaB

Hi , I wonder if you can please advise me? A hedgehog was seen on the lawn for the last 2,3 days. Yesterday we picked him/her up and weigh only 600 grams. Looks healthy but a bit cold in abdomen. We put it in a big cage in the dark with hot water bottle covered with towels but could it be a nursing mum? Being out during day for 2 or 3 days is this normal for her for looking for extra food? In the cage we have put down cat food and water? If eaten should he/she be released in case of urchins? Should we take it today to vet?worried in case of urchins left too long.... many thanks
KaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:58 AM   #114 (permalink)
Administrator

If it seems healthy I would release it back where you found it.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #115 (permalink)

I have a female who was pregnant and I believe she just birthed yesterday or sometime last night. I am worried currently about the babies falling out of the cage, she came in a ferret nation cage what has about a half an inch space between each bar. I tried to quietly wrap some fabric tightly around the bottom of the cage to prevent any of them crawling and falling out. I'm not sure what else I should do. I have a single heat lamp on her cage that keeps it at about 75 and she was eating Purina, should I still try and change her food right after birthing? I am also giving her an extensive amount of mealworms. I just really want to make sure that I am giving her everything she needs.
Pendingdysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #116 (permalink)
Administrator

Answered in your other post

Tags
pregnancy, problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in