Separating Babies from Mom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Separating Babies from Mom

Do I separate the babies from their mom at EXACTLY six weeks old? She's still sleeping with her babies, and they'll be six weeks old on Tuesday. I don't want to make her all sad...

And grandmother of three beautiful hoglets
tracie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Separating Babies from Mom

Yes, you need to separate the babies from mom. You also need to separate the males from the females by 7 weeks, since the boys can impregnant their sisters. Please monitor their water and food intake daily by checking weights.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Just morbidly curious but what would happen if you kept mom and females together? I would assume it'd turn into the usual chance of them fighting and such, but just curious.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

There are no problems with leaving the girls with mom, they would get along fine. You do have to worry about them potentially developing close bonds with each other though, where you might have trouble housing them without a companion later on.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting. I only ask because I know someday in the far future, I want to attempt one litter of hoglets just to experience them at some point in the distant future, and unless it was a massive litter would keep them all as pets. So in my general case it could be ideal to keep mother and daughter(s) together since they would probably build a bond like most parents and children. Of course if you're breeding them and or just adopting/selling them to others, you don't want that bond to form.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can I keep the girl baby with the mom then? I'm keeping all the babies.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you're keeping the babies (at least the baby girl) and from what LizardGirl said to my question, then yes, you can keep them together. Them forming a bond would only be a problem if you planned on separation, such as adopting the baby girl out, thus you'd wean her away from Mama so it doesn't happen. From everything I've read on the few cases of two females being together and forming a bond is that it can cause minor problems per say if one has to be removed due to illness, the other one tends to become depressed, and in the case one passes away, it seems the other follows within a few months (not 100% but from what I read it sounds like the surviving one gets depressed and just kind of fades away).

I would always be prepared though to separate in case they started to fight or attack each other, I would guess its less of a chance when its a parent and sibling versus two random females, but either way I'd keep that in the back of my mine.

Obviously the males need to be weaned away since they are more loners, and the fact they would start attempting to try and mate with Mother & Sister.

But as I always say, I'm no expert, just been reading way too much here (but that is a good thing).
Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

She's all happy and snuggling with her babies. I thought she was supposed to kick them out when she's tired of them. I feel bad separating them, they seem all happy together. Should I wait a little bit?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would take them out. Males need to regardless. If you plan on keeping the girl with her mom, then you can leave her there. The baby shouldn't pester mom for milk anymore, and if she does mom will let her know if she wants her to stop. They will be fine, but take the boys out.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi people. I need some advice, I have some hoglets (haven't verified how many cause I didn't want to disturb or stress the mom out), they are about 6 days old now, I'm very curious to open their box and check if they're doing well. Any advice on when is the best time to do it (like if their mom is out of their nest? or if they're all together?) and when can I start picking up the hoglets?
steffyanne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in