Orphaned baby - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Orphaned baby

I have a little baby that the mother shunned. She ate his brothers and sisters and thankfully, this one lived, but she won't nurse him. ((Ok, before anyone fusses, because I know you will, yes, the mother ate them out of stress. No, I really can't do much about the stress. We have them in a bin kinda away from most of the other things in the pet store, with a screen lid on top and a sign clearly saying "DO NOT TOUCH HEDGEHOGS. THEY HAVE BABIES!" But unfortunately, stupid little kids still get through and mess with them.))

So I took the little one home. I have him in a ten gallon aquarium, no lid, wrapped in towels and a heat pad under him to keep him warm. I'm feeding him goats milk every three hours but now I just bought some kitten milk and I'm gonna switch to that.

I've taken care of baby kittens, puppies, and squirrels. But this is way different. Any tips? Am I doing this right? No fussing please >.> I'm kinda tired of getting fussed at on this forum. If you guys were to come to my snake forum, I'd be nice to you. So I'd appreciate the same courtesy >.>
lovesnuffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Orphaned baby

I'm sorry you feel like people are attacking you on here. I'm sure it was no ones intention. Hedgehogs are very delicate creatures and the people here only try to do their part by making sure inexperienced owners understand how to provide care and know what to expect, hopefully weeding out the people who wouldn't really care for the animal as opposed to someone who would.

I'm also sorry to hear about the living conditions of your hedgehogs. It was good of you to take in the baby, it probably wouldn't have lasted another day. Could you move the mother to the back of store, in an office somewhere?

Try to find some fleece for the baby and an alternative heating source. Towels can catch on their nails, and a heating pad can get too hot and burn them. I don't know anything about raising a baby hedgehog, especially without a mother, but I wish you the best of luck.
nougat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you soooo much. It wouldn't have lasted another day actually. There were two babies left, but when I pointed out to my boss that the mother wasn't nursing them he told me to leave them in there. I came back the next day and only one baby was left. Finally he agreed we needed to do something about it. Jackass. Excuse my language, I hate my boss lol.

The hedgehogs can be moved to the back of the store, but people still go back there anyways. Especially kids. I hate kids >.> They're the worst. No, I take that back. I hate parents who don't control their kids. ((I have issues with kids running wild in my store. They wasted half my bird seed, lost one of our leopard geckos and put the other leopard gecko in the cage with the tortoises. I happened to not be working at the time they did this otherwise I'd have skinned the kids alive. I believe in spankings and I'm so not afraid to hit another person's kid.))

I'll switch one of my snake's lamps with the heating pad then. Can you get fleece from wal-mart?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesnuffles
I hate kids >.> They're the worst. No, I take that back. I hate parents who don't control their kids.
agreed completely.

as for the fleece, i know that you can find it at any fabric store. if you have some time, you may also try searching for baby blankets on ebay. i got a set of gently used blankies from there for a sweet price.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, you can buy fleece at Walmart.
Make sure the temp is at a constant 73-78 degrees, probably closer to 78 because he's so young.
Also, I agree with the comment about the uncontrolled kids.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Triple agree on the kids for the most part, modern parents in general scare me, and so does the 'next' generation of kids that'll be in power when I'm old and unable to fight back, hehe.

And sorry if people have been short with you on the forums or at least souned like it, as the other members have said, its just we care so much for all hedgehogs, I know it was probably the thread on the lost female, so if anything, members of HHC should be mad at your boss who shouldn't even be breeding these guys, I know you said a few were by mistake and such, hopefully he'll stop breeding them, because there are too many hedgehogs in the world that don't have a home, plus the other things (WHS, health issues), either way, if you ever leave and get another job, I'd leave his pet store info here. I know when you first came on here, you wanted to help those hedgies out and try and take over their care, but I get the feeling your boss feels different about it. You tried, thats the good thing.

I always seem to be the one who wants to bring up the down side of things, but brace yourself for the worse case scenario in this case, depending on the baby's age. I've read its hard for the babies to survive without the mother, even with constant care, but we'll all say a prayer to the hedgehog gods for the baby and you for it to turn out good.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Will do on the baby blankets! Actually, my grandma might still have a box of them left from when we were babies.

I'm trying to keep the temperature up to around 80 or so. He feels like he's getting enough heat. He's not cold but he's not hot and fevered either. He's pleasantly warm to the touch. He doesn't even have fur yet :/ And his eyes aren't open .... She* Sorry. It's a girl lol. And I don't feel like backspacing all that :P

Puffers, I was afraid of that :/ She's eating well though! That's a good sign right? She doesn't seem to like the kitten milk though ... She practically attacked the goat milk :/ Which worries me because that was the last pack of it we had and my old place of work doesn't have any either. ((I wish I still worked there. I brought them the hedgehog to see and they were properly appalled at my boss and properly in love with this baby.))

We've decided we're gonna keep her though. The store isn't getting her back, no matter what my boss believes lol. My step-dad is already attached to her, so she's gonna be his pet that I'm gonna end up having to take care of Lol, so the other one I posted pictures of before is gonna go to someone else I decide is worthy.

Thanks for the nice replies though guys. It's just stressful, what between work and an ******* boss (Scuse the language), and then coming here and getting fussed at for doing everything wrong. I really don't know anything. I'm trying though. That counts for something. I could be like "Oh you guys don't know anything. Ours are fine just how they are. I don't need help." But I do want them to be healthy and I'm also not a know-it-all prick >.>

And as for the lost female, no updates on her, but the trap has been set and we're still waiting. And they won't be breeding again if I have anything to say about it. Maybe in the future, IF I'm still working there ((I almost feel like I HAVE to stay now because no one else really cares for the hogs)), after I learn more about how to breed them, I might. Cause I really don't think there are many breeders in Louisiana. Hedgehogs aren't a pet you see commonly around these parts. As far as I know, my store is the only ones around that have them, so I'm gonna look into breeding them, but in the future. For now I'm gonna concentrate on their health and keeping this new little one alive.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesnuffles
Will do on the baby blankets! Actually, my grandma might still have a box of them left from when we were babies.

I'm trying to keep the temperature up to around 80 or so. He feels like he's getting enough heat. He's not cold but he's not hot and fevered either. He's pleasantly warm to the touch. He doesn't even have fur yet :/ And his eyes aren't open .... She* Sorry. It's a girl lol. And I don't feel like backspacing all that :P

Puffers, I was afraid of that :/ She's eating well though! That's a good sign right? She doesn't seem to like the kitten milk though ... She practically attacked the goat milk :/ Which worries me because that was the last pack of it we had and my old place of work doesn't have any either. ((I wish I still worked there. I brought them the hedgehog to see and they were properly appalled at my boss and properly in love with this baby.))

We've decided we're gonna keep her though. The store isn't getting her back, no matter what my boss believes lol. My step-dad is already attached to her, so she's gonna be his pet that I'm gonna end up having to take care of Lol, so the other one I posted pictures of before is gonna go to someone else I decide is worthy.

Thanks for the nice replies though guys. It's just stressful, what between work and an A****** boss (Scuse the language), and then coming here and getting fussed at for doing everything wrong. I really don't know anything. I'm trying though. That counts for something. I could be like "Oh you guys don't know anything. Ours are fine just how they are. I don't need help." But I do want them to be healthy and I'm also not a know-it-all prick >.>

And as for the lost female, no updates on her, but the trap has been set and we're still waiting. And they won't be breeding again if I have anything to say about it. Maybe in the future, IF I'm still working there ((I almost feel like I HAVE to stay now because no one else really cares for the hogs)), after I learn more about how to breed them, I might. Cause I really don't think there are many breeders in Louisiana. Hedgehogs aren't a pet you see commonly around these parts. As far as I know, my store is the only ones around that have them, so I'm gonna look into breeding them, but in the future. For now I'm gonna concentrate on their health and keeping this new little one alive.
Nancy will tell you more about this if she gets a chance, but puppies milk works wonders!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Who's Nancy?

And she keeps squeaking. Is that normal or should I be worried? Do I need to feed her more? o.o She eats like a ... well ... hog, lol, and when she's done she definitely lets me know and I JUST fed her. I dunno, first time mother jitters >.>
Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Esbilac puppy formula

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in