Daisy 1st time mom escaped to seek out Dad - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By DasIgelPoggie
  • 1 Post By miyonette22
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By DesertHedgehogs
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Daisy 1st time mom escaped to seek out Dad

Daisy has always been quite the escape artist. But for 2 nights in a row. My son caught her running around her mate, Oakley's cage. Is it unusual for a female, first time mom to do this and why is she acting like this? She has 7 hoglets and has not tried to abandon them, she's an excellent mom. In fact, when it came to mating, she was the one seeking Oakley out. He's the one that kept running away, which was a bit funny. We have better secured her cage and she no longer escape. I was just curious about her behavior. She's definitely not your ordinary Hedgehog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1394943630425-picsay.jpg (161.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_110449410678856.jpeg (42.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20140316_141148.jpg (138.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Margie; 03-16-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Margie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't know why she's doing this but you need to assume she's pregnant again. You really need to make sure she can't escape or she's going to be pregnant all the time. If you can't keep her in her cage then you are going to need to put them in separate cages.
Nancy and DasIgelPoggie like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Some hedgehog mamas do get very antsy while nesting or nursing-- 7 kids is enough to make anyone want to climb the walls, haha. But like Nicki said, the poor dear is probably pregnant again. After she has the litter she's pregnant with right now, her little body will need a very, VERY long break! Pregnancy is really hard on anyone's body, but especially after such a massive first litter. Please consider supplementing her with calcium-- you can crush up half a calcium tablet (like TUMS) and sprinkle it over her food. Watch her for very closely for complications!
Margie likes this.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

If I understood your post right, I am assuming that Daisy is just outside Oakley's cage running around when your son found him. I checked out your other post and found out that you had removed the top of her cage and it's showing in your photo that it is low enough for her to climb out. Hopefully you secured Oakley' cage for her not to be able to climb in and out of Oakley's cage. Assume that she's pregnant again if there would be a way for her to get in. It will really be so stressing to her since she had babies just two weeks ago. It's a good thing you have already secured her cage.

About her behaviour.With what I observed with mine, one of my moms would always explore when I let her get her time out from nursing (it's my time to handle the babies, hihi). She would just roam around running like she does before she got pregnant but wouldn't get far from me and her bin. And when she's done with her running, then that's the time she would frantically try to get in her bin even climb on me. Then that's also the time I had to return her babies back and let them cuddle.

Is Oakley's cage in the same room with her cage? Maybe she's trying to get back to her babies and mistakenly assumed that Oakley's cage is her cage.

By the way, your hedgehogs are beautiful. I like how Daisy looks with a tiara and Oakley with that halo. They look so cute.
Margie likes this.
miyonette22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for your answers. Well, Daisy has been in my son's bedroom closet and Oakley has been staying across town, until recently, with my son's girlfriend. Oakley's cage has locks all around, so it would have been impossible for her to climb in. I didn't want to move them but Daisy is now on "lockdown." I wish there were a way to let them be just "good friends" because Oakley and Daisy even reach other's personalities out so well.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Unfortunately the only way you could ever let them be any kind of friends is if you have Daisy spayed. As long as they are both intact she will ovulate everytime she is with him which is very unhealthy for her and very frustrating for him. Letting them be friends as they are now is very unfair to them.
Margie likes this.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I must sound really ignorant, but I didn't know you could have a Hedgehog fixed? I'm.taking her to the Vet, tomorrow and he said it was okay to also take the babies with. I think she has mites. Other than, that, all is well.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

How old are your hoglets? I wouldn't take mom and hoglets to the vet for anything less than life threatening until the babies are 5 weeks old and good sized. Car travel typically has temperature fluctuations that young hogs are unprepared to deal with, and if they're very young moving them around that much can stimulate mom to cannibalize or reject them.
Nancy and Lilysmommy like this.
DesertHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I wouldn't take the mom and babies to the vet either. Like was already said mites aren't life threatening and moving mom and babies could very easily stress her and cause her to kill the babies or reject them. Mom will be ok waiting till the babies are weaned to be treated. I would wait till the babies are weaned then take mom in.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in