Hedgie had babies...questions about mom. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie had babies...questions about mom.

Hello. My girl had babies a week ago tonight. She is about 6 months old. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Everything went well and she did an impressive nesting job in her igloo. I heard chirping the next morning and that is how I new she gave birth. Due to her nesting, I can not see in the igloo at all. Prior to birth she was a big eater. I did not think she was fat since she could curl up in a ball completely. Anyway, following birth she has not eaten much at all. I read that she is supposed to eat a lot due to nursing. I give her the same kibble she had all along. In addition I give her a separate bowl of royal canin mother and baby cat kibble. I have offered small amounts of cottage cheese but she never eats it. I have left kitten replacement milk in there and she does not touch it. She hardly eats any kibble and it has been a week. She does drink water but not huge amounts. I caught her out of her igloo twice and physically she looks fine. One time when she was at the opposite end of the cage I lifted up the tip of the igloo and saw three spiky balls. I did give her some meal worms twice and she did eat those. I am concerned about her eating behavior. Also, when can I go in the igloo and see the babies? I am dying to see the cute little ones. We have been very careful to be quiet and leave her alone. I do hear chirping everyday. Thank you!
Amy LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Do you give her fresh kibble daily? How far is her food dish from the door of her igloo?

Usually by a week their appetite is picking up. Count the kibble so you know exactly how much she is eating. Continue to give her mealies if she will eat them and keep track of everything she eats.

I wouldn't peak on the babies yet, at least until you make certain mom's eating isn't a signal that something is wrong. Don't want to add stress to her.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your advice. I put her food bowls right next to the entrance of her igloo b/c I read that some moms may not want to leave the babies. I do not give fresh kibble everyday. I just fill it up if it is low. I will start giving her fresh kibble and counting them. Should I give her the mealies everyday? And how many. The ones I have are kind of small ones. Is there any other food you would suggest I try with her?
Amy LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Some hedgehogs will not eat food if it has been sitting in the dish very long. It is always recommended to give fresh from the bag daily. Yes, you can give mealies daily. If she is not used to having many mealies, don't give her too many to start with. You don't want to upset her stomach. Same with different foods. Stick with what she is used to so as not to upset her stomach.

Hopefully with fresh kibble, she will start to eat. You don't have to fill the dish. Give a tablespoon and check a few times per day. If she needs more, give more. You will get to know how much she eats be it half a tablespoon, or 5 tablespoons, so you can give what she eats in a day and she will always have it, but you won't be throwing much out.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in