Curious, why do people say domesticated hedgehogs are hybrid? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Curious, why do people say domesticated hedgehogs are hybrid?

I wonder where this information originates? I know it is repeated often, I'm wondering if anyone knows more.

Which two species? There are currently 16 identified, they keep adding new ones.

I ask because generally speaking you don't get fertile offspring in hybrids. Subspecies you do, but with a subspecies you have a single gene pool.
fishhead likes this.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

The major importer in the early 90s primarily shipped in Central African & and Algerian hedgehogs.
nikki likes this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

What's the difference between subspecies and hybrids?
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A subspecies is where a group of the species has been isolated and evolved to be just different enough (in markings, behaviors, etc.) to become a subspecies of the main species. For example, barn owls are found worldwide, but there's at least 20 subspecies based on slight variations in coloring in populations found in different countries/continents. The genes are still pretty much exactly the same, there's just slight variations due to being isolated from another population of the same species.

Hybrid is an animal that's from two different species bred together - most of them come from human interference, I believe. Examples would be a mule (horse/donkey), liger (lion/tiger), etc. The two species' genes are close enough that offspring can be produced, but in the wild, those species generally wouldn't mate due to behavior differences, different ranges, etc. Like Haley said, most hybrids aren't fertile - you'd have to breed the two original species in order to get the hybrid again.

Hopefully that explanation actually makes sense...I'm not always good at explaining things.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

So, are dog or cat breeds hybrids, or subspecies? The colourations, shapes, sizes, and attitudes vary substantially between breeds, yet they are clearly capable of cross-breeding (between dog breeds or between cat breeds, not terrifying cat-dog hybrids!).
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think they'd be considered subspecies, just extremely varied subspecies? The same with other domesticated animals like cows, sheep, horses, pigeons, chickens, etc. We call them breeds, but I think they'd also be subspecies. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm mostly guessing on this one!)

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

This is an interesting read about cat breeds vs subspecies.

http://www.messybeast.com/breed-subspecies.htm
Lilysmommy and fishhead like this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

So, at this point, would it be more accurate to describe domesticated hedgehogs that were produced via breeding several subspecies of smaller hedgehogs (including the Central African and Algerian varieties) together?

The whole thing about hybrids having reduced fertility also seems to be more "rule of thumb" than hard reality. Female grizzly-polar bear hybrids can be fertile, and at least one female lion-tiger hybrid (ligers) has been bred with a lion to produce liligers.

It also seems like a wide swatch of the canis genus (wolves, coyotes, jackals, dingos and domestic dogs) can all breed and produce fertile young, yet clearly dingos are not the same species as wolves. I wonder if the hedgehogs are more like that -- extremely closely related species that can interbreed without any noticeable impact on fertility?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Any offspring from 2 animals with different genuses are considered hybrids. From what i read, domesticated hedgehogs came from hybridizing 4 genus of wild hedgehogs. Hybridization among animals has long been an issue of endless debates.

Also, hyrid animals does not have scientific (Latin) names as they are out of the taxonomy tree. As a result they are named according to their color forms. Simply put, any animal without a scientific name is a hybrid.

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Intresting. Thanks!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in