ADVICE NEEDED - bred 3 times with no results - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation ADVICE NEEDED - bred 3 times with no results

Howdy

I have bred my male and female 3 times with no luck. I started when they were about 5 months old and they are now about 8.5 months old.
Ive tried having them in the females and males cages, different beddings, feed separated always but shar a water bowl. I've tried having them together for 2 weeks up to as much of 4 weeks.
I know when first breeding the male can shoot blanks but after 5 months (3 tries) I would think he is plenty fertile. same for my female.
Basically I am it sure what the problem is. My female exhibits the nesting behavior regardless and has ever since I got her, she just likes to bury herself to sleep blockading her hut so looking for that behavior is not help. I weigh her as well but even that is not great because you never know if they have a large amount of feces to excrete or not so it fluctuates depending on when in her potty cycle she is that evening.
Im running out of ideas and would love and appreciate any advice!

Thank you!!!!

HHH
HumbleHairpinHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

DISCLAIMER: I am not a breeder, this is just my ideas to help

I looked it up and it says that hedgehogs are ready to breed at around 6 months. I would suggest putting them together in a neutral area for both of them. Then they will not have any toys, familiar sleeping areas, things that could distract them from each other? If not, maybe try to keep them apart for a while and then try again when they are older. Also, of course, make sure they are both female and male, I know as a breeder you will already know, but just make sure XD. Other than that first suggestion, I don't have any more ideas, I'm sorry. Good luck!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice needed, breeding, breeding help, problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in