hopefully pregnant - but lost 20g in one night - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default hopefully pregnant - but lost 20g in one night

Howdy,

I am a new hedgehog owner and breeder and am still getting used to things. I had the male and female together for 28 days, he failed to breed her the first time he tried (he was a bit fat and could not mount)
I witnessed successful copulation 22 days ago and separated the male 5 days ago. Prior to the successful breed my female weighed a steady 193-196 grams. Over the first week she gained almost 10 grams, another 10 the following week and again this week to weigh in last night at 222 grams last night. However, tonight she dropped back down to 203 grams.

She had poop in her (eyebrow) quills so I gave her a bath to clean her up. Other than that I found some fresh poops in the cage (she has a 3 story cage converted from a bookshelf) and no dead hoglets/placental tissues etc.

From what I have read hedgehog pregnancy tracking is not like other species. I am a veterinary student specializing in reproduction but my expertise is in large animals like cows and horses.

She is still eating and drinking with enthusiasm (currently as I type actually) has lots of energy, is nesting (though she liked to bury herself even before she was with the male), wakes up more often than she did before the breeding for snacks (although today not as much as she has the past few days).

Her poops are light to dark brown and soft, not runny or too solid, no blood or unusual bad odor. She is still urinating as well.

She is on Mazuri hedgy diet and veggies (usually zucchini) as well as wrigglers and berries treat mix (usually only a few of these in a day). I refill her water bowl with fresh filtered water at least once a day and she gets fed at 11pm every night (+/- more snacks lately)

I am sorry for the long initial post - I have learned the value of a through history in school, every detail can help in a diagnosis or even just to say "hey shes fine"

Thanks in advance for the advice and input!
- Shaymin's human Sav
HumbleHairpinHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in