!!! Surprise!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2019, 01:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default !!! Surprise!!!

Tonight I came home and heard some strange squeaking from my hedgehog cage.... there’s baby hedgehogs!! I freaked out because I thought the mom was eating them (there was blood but not a lot, also there were no baby hedgehogs last night) I don’t know, but they are squeaking a lot. I don’t have a heat set up yet (I’m in Florida) but my house is about 76. Help!! I’ve never had hedgehogs before this I have ZERO experience and I have no clue what to do. I’m literally still learning about them...I don’t know if she’s doing what she’s supposed to or if she’s eating them and it’s killing me..
Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Theres a stickie you can read about surprise babies its called emergency baby advice.
But I dont know anything about it so read the stickie and wait for someone who does know to answer.

Last edited by Ria; 09-07-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

IF you only have one hedgehog, contact the breeder you got her from and ask if she was possibly pregnant when she came to you. Ask them for advice. If not, just do the best you can and research
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

To add on the only thing I can say is do not stress the mother out. Do not change anything in the cage. Just make sure to quietly and carefully change the water and food daily.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Can’t you give the babies back to the breeder?
Just like, common knowledge question, if you get a pregnant female without knowing it, and she get so pregnant, won’t you be able to give the babies and the mom back to the breeder temporarily, and then take the mom back after the babies are old enough?
Or do you have to take care of them yourself?
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2Lancelot View Post
Can’t you give the babies back to the breeder?
Just like, common knowledge question, if you get a pregnant female without knowing it, and she get so pregnant, won’t you be able to give the babies and the mom back to the breeder temporarily, and then take the mom back after the babies are old enough?
Or do you have to take care of them yourself?
No its too risky because you have to leave them alone for 2 weeks not stress the mum or she will eat the babies, they can't bs touched and nothing can be changed, now she's been away from the breeder she has to stay put in the new environment to avoid anything bad happening
Old 09-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, eish... I can imagine the stress owners go through,
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

This exact thing happened to me! I was loosing my mind as we had just bought our hedgie two weeks prior to her giving birth. We found breeder who had a foster mom and unfortunately and fortunately 2 out of the 4 survived. So, my best advice is to try to reach a breeder to see if they have a foster mommy that can take the babies off your hands just until they are bigger or you can do what I did and let them have the babies. Its all up to you. If you need the number of a breeder who can give you advice let me know. If she is a very young hedgie she may not know how to take care of her babies.
malsr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsr2015 View Post
This exact thing happened to me! I was loosing my mind as we had just bought our hedgie two weeks prior to her giving birth. We found breeder who had a foster mom and unfortunately and fortunately 2 out of the 4 survived. So, my best advice is to try to reach a breeder to see if they have a foster mommy that can take the babies off your hands just until they are bigger or you can do what I did and let them have the babies. Its all up to you. If you need the number of a breeder who can give you advice let me know. If she is a very young hedgie she may not know how to take care of her babies.
From what I read even when they do this you still need to wait 2 weeks anyway to improve their chance of survival. Unless the mum died or transport isnt needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in