Hedgehog Central banner

!!! Surprise!!!

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ria 
#1 ·
Tonight I came home and heard some strange squeaking from my hedgehog cage.... there’s baby hedgehogs!! I freaked out because I thought the mom was eating them (there was blood but not a lot, also there were no baby hedgehogs last night) I don’t know, but they are squeaking a lot. I don’t have a heat set up yet (I’m in Florida) but my house is about 76. Help!! I’ve never had hedgehogs before this I have ZERO experience and I have no clue what to do. I’m literally still learning about them...I don’t know if she’s doing what she’s supposed to or if she’s eating them and it’s killing me..

#5 ·
Can’t you give the babies back to the breeder?
Just like, common knowledge question, if you get a pregnant female without knowing it, and she get so pregnant, won’t you be able to give the babies and the mom back to the breeder temporarily, and then take the mom back after the babies are old enough?
Or do you have to take care of them yourself?

#6 ·
Can't you give the babies back to the breeder?
Just like, common knowledge question, if you get a pregnant female without knowing it, and she get so pregnant, won't you be able to give the babies and the mom back to the breeder temporarily, and then take the mom back after the babies are old enough?
Or do you have to take care of them yourself?
No its too risky because you have to leave them alone for 2 weeks not stress the mum or she will eat the babies, they can't bs touched and nothing can be changed, now she's been away from the breeder she has to stay put in the new environment to avoid anything bad happening

#8 ·
This exact thing happened to me! I was loosing my mind as we had just bought our hedgie two weeks prior to her giving birth. We found breeder who had a foster mom and unfortunately and fortunately 2 out of the 4 survived. So, my best advice is to try to reach a breeder to see if they have a foster mommy that can take the babies off your hands just until they are bigger or you can do what I did and let them have the babies. Its all up to you. If you need the number of a breeder who can give you advice let me know. If she is a very young hedgie she may not know how to take care of her babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.