Hedgehog pregnant - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog pregnant

Hello! I did do a topic like this before about my hedgie Lola and she is 7 months!! I thought she was pregnant so I took her to the vet. They said she is so what do I do now? When do I stop holding her? When do I take out her wheel/other hides (I thought maybe keep one hide big enough for babies so she doesn’t go in the wrong one)? And when the babies grow up can I put the males in with the dad for a short amount of time before finding new homes?
Hedgeilover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! I have no experience with raising babies unfortunately, but what I can comment on is separation. Putting the males with dad would not be a good idea (putting any of the kids with dad isn’t a good idea). He will likely get aggressive and attempt to kill them. I’d suggest to start planning now where you’ll keep them temporarily, even if it’s in a temporary plastic bin (hedgehog modified obviously). I know Nikki has experience raising hedgehogs, so maybe she or another with experience can comment further!
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you!!! I heard that you “could” put the males together at one point temporarily but didn’t believe it because I thought it would cause problems since they are solitary animals. I will ask another experienced breeder for some questions I may have. And thank you again!!
Hedgeilover

Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

When was she last with a male? First thing you need to do is read all the threads in the breeding section, after that if you have more questions feel free to post them here.

You don't need to remove the hides and only have to remove the wheel a few days before her due date. You can not put any babies with the male, he'll attack them and may kill them. He will have no idea that they are his babies.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok I will read all breeding topics!! And definitely not put the babies in his cage!! Thank you for your help!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also just to add on... I got her a little over a month ago and i didn’t know she was with a male but obviously was because she’s pregnant. I did take her to vet when I got her to make sure she was healthy because hedgies hide it pretty well and asked her if it was normal for her to be coming out during the day because usually they aren’t supposed to. I noticed her gaining way more weight than she was supposed to with not that much food to be gaining that much and so I took her back and they did an ultra sound thing!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to be prepared for her to deliver any time since you don't know when she was first with a male. Count 55 days from when you got her and that should be the latest date for her to deliver.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in