Unexpected Babies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unexpected Babies

I aquired a hedgie a week ago today from a couple who found her in their garage. They did not know anything about hedghogs. They were feeding her cat and or dog food. Her poop was a nasty smelling green when I got her. My major suprise today is I heard squeaking coming from her cage. Yep babies . I have never dealt with baby hedgies and need advice. I lifted the cover to check on her like I normally do and there were little lumps by her. I did not count them and occasionally do hear squeaking but have not checked on her. Shadows food and water bowl are in the cage with her as well as her wheel still. She was running on it quite a bit last night. Since switching her food her poop has become black formed and does not smell as bad. I did not know she was pregnant when I got her so please do not think I am a byb. I just want what is best for Shadow and her hoglets. When I got her she was itching like mad and losing quills. I gave her a bath with no shampoo just running warm water over her. Three- four rinses later she was finally clean. No more itching. She is on 8n1 Hedgohog food but I know she needs something else now that she has young. She has aspen shavings for bedding and a fleece/quilt like blankie that she is hiding under. I do hear squeaking now and then so hopefully thats a good sign. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have checked out the breeding forum and am continuing to do so. I have NO information on this little girl since she was found in a garage. I just know she was in bad shape when I got her out of the situation she was in. And now I have BABIES that I am not prepared for. I have not touched the young at all. I can also be reached at email [email protected] if that would be faster for helping me out. Once again I did NOT have a clue she was pregnant when I got her!
tigereyes319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Unexpected Babies

Take the wheel out. Don't bother her except to change her food and water. Keep her bowl full - she needs as much as she wants. Definitely switch to a high quality cat food, hedgehog foods are crap. For now a kitten food is best because of the higher fat. Royal Canin babycat is a great option, but any kitten food will work. Leave her alone until they're 2 weeks old, which is when you can start handling them. Good luck!

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you I will do that. I was not expecting this at all. I wil go get the food now. Should I also provide meal worms for her at the same time?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can if she eats them - you can put them in a small dish for her if she'll eat them from there. She doesn't need them, and if she'll only eat them from you directly, you shouldn't bother. Definitely don't want to bother her for that reason.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I havent tried to feed them to her. I got the new food and was hearing some strange noises coming from her bin. I did a quick check because her blanket was moving funny. I took a quick count and saw 5 hoglets. She has eaten some of the new food since I heard her moving it around her food bowl and hopefully crunching on her food only. Other than that she has been left alone. I am trying to minimize the noise for her but she is used to my dogs going in and out of the house and barking. The people I got her from had four dogs as well and a toddler so she should be used to noise. I do appreciate the help you are giving me. I read that the babies should be pink but mine from what I saw are brown is this normal?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

They start to get pigment pretty quickly, so it's nothing to worry about. Hopefully she's not bothered by the dogs, but a quiet place would be best. Even females that are comfortable and relaxed normally can be very sensitive when they've just had babies. Resist the urge to peek anymore, even a quick look could stress her out.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Shadow has covered her food bowl with her blankie. When I did peek (which i wont do anymore) she has them laying on the bare floor of the bin. The house is at 78 degrees I live in Tx and refuse to use the air conditioner at this point. Two of them are close to her and the other three are huddled together a little ways away. Every so often I do hear squeaking . I am just afraid that I will do the wrong thing. Sorry for seeming so needy but you are the only one answering my question I really do appreciate your paitence with me.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Surprise babies are always nerve-wracking! Obviously she's in a good place though, you're doing a great job getting information and finding out how to take care of all of them. Don't feel like you're being annoying or needy - ask whatever questions you have, since they could be important to the health of mama and baby. This is always a situation where it's good to ask as many questions as you can, and look up as much information as you can. We only have a handful of breeders and ex-breeders on here, so most people tend to leave baby situations to them, is all. Sounds like you're doing well so far, and I hope mama and babies do great! Please keep us updated!

One thing I will mention is that I know breeders have suggested putting pieces of tissues in the cage for nesting material for mama - but please wait for a breeder to weigh in on whether that's a good idea or not. I know sometimes if you disturb the cage too much (even just adding something little), it can cause problems, so I don't want to suggest the wrong thing.

Edit: I just realized...you're now the second person in the past two weeks to have a hedgehog in Texas that was found in a garage...Starting to wonder if someone just let their hedgehogs go or something because what the heck?? That's starting to worry me a little...I hope these are the only two babies that have been running around outside.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you. I have been reading quite a few suprise stories on here (have been on computer since she had them and I joined the site). It is just nerve wracking since I have no information on Shadow. I have no idea how old she is or if this is her first litter. She seems to be quite calm about all of it. Either that or she is just exhausted. I have also emailed a breeder but haven't had much luck with a response. I don't want to lose any of the babies but I know that nature can be cruel (had baby hamsters that got eaten) so I am trying to do the best I can. This is the best site for me to get info on and I am extremely grateful for what ever help I do get. I have not added anything to her cage at this point and actually shipped my daughter off to her friends for the night .

Wow I picked up my little girl in Round Rock. I live in Killeen but drove to pick her up since the people who had found her didn't know anything about hedgies. She was filthy and so itchy. I wonder if someone moved and didn't want to find homes for them. Or if they somehow escaped. There is also a pet store down there that sells hedgehogs. I have had one before but never dealt with a pregnancy.
Wonder if it was a male that they found.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, they said theirs was a male. They said they were from Austin...So it might very well have been the same area, and someone let them both go. At least it's warm enough down there that they didn't freeze to death immediately...and now both have good, safe homes. I really, really just hope they were the only two...

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in