So you want to breed your hedgehog... - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default pet store hedgehog

I got my first hedgehog form a pet store, and one week later she had six babies, I was never planning on breeding her, but now I have 6 two day old babies, and i'm not sure what to do.
pmgates33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You already posted a thread about this and got a couple answers, did you see them? https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...og-babies.html If you want to do more research and get more info on what to do later as the babies grow, you can search through the threads in this section. This one is more for preventing people from breeding irresponsibly, it won't have much info for you.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Great points and just overall very helpful post! A friend and I are getting hedgies this October (from two different USDA licensed and IHA/IHR members from two different parts of the country - there's absolutely zero chance of them coming from the same line, and I've made sure of this by researching the breeder's breeding stock's pedigrees), and we thought it would be neat to go into hobby breeding. We live in southern Arizona and because hedgies have only been legal to have as pets for four months now, there are very few breeders to choose from in the state, let alone where we're located.

I've bred hamsters, mice and rats before so I'm not 100% new to breeding in general, but I'm somehow still an excitable five year old when it comes to this stuff! This post was a huge reality check for me and one I'm glad I got. I've decided I'm still going to breed my girl, but only once a year instead of twice. Summer break is a long enough period to breed and wean my hoglets before school starts again and this way I'll also be able to drop everything and spring to action should I need to.

Thanks again!!!
Skittlebomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad the post helped! Please make sure you're also prepared financially. This is a big issue for younger owners sometimes. Emergency c-sections & spays can easily cost $1000 or more. Make sure you have both a good hedgehog-knowledgeable (or at least small-animal-knowledgeable) vet and a good emergency vet that you can get to reliably.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't know how old you are, but if you don't drive make sure your parents are willing to drive you to an emergency vet in the middle of the night if needed.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki View Post
So I have a really silly question I can't find anywhere online.
Exactly why is it bad to breed a pet store hedgehog? I realize you wouldn't know the pedigree which obviously is a downfall.
Could the babies be deformed?
Do they have a higher risk of dying or illness?
More complications in the pregnancy maybe?
I know this is a very old thread but thought I'd answer anyway for anyone else who comes across it.
Pet stores don't do a very good job at taking care of hedgehogs. Pet store hedgehogs could have diseases and genetic illnesses, even of your hedgehog doesn't show any sign of illness itself.

Breeders on the other hand, track the lineage of the hedgehogs and don't breed hedgehogs that show genetic illnesses.
nikki likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #27 (permalink)

Hey lilys mommy can you please help me out, my boyfriend is pretty set on wanting to breed our female hedgehog when she turns of age and before she gets too old but this is what I told him "Yes that doesn't exactly imply that she will eat her babies but if she's scared of us that DOES imply that she thinks we're predators and if she's scared of us that DOES imply that she's stressed I really don't see how you don't understand how this is a bad idea" so basically our hedgehog isn't well manneed and is scared of people do you think it's a good idea to breed a hedgehog that is scared of people
SunshinePepper94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

No hedgehogs that are not socialized and are extremely fearful shouldn't be bred. She can pass on those traits to the babies. You also shouldn't breed her unless you have a 5 generation pedigree on both her and the male that has been checked to make sure that no genetic lines in their backgrounds carry WHS. If you can't do that then it is very very irresponsible to breed her. He also needs to understand that it is a very real possibility that she could die giving birth. I am a retired breeder and I did lose a female during birth. I had a video monitor on her, she was fine and out and eating at 11 pm. I got up at 1 am to check the camera to see if she was in labour and she had already bled out after giving birth to one baby that also was dead.

Before breeding he also should have enough extra money put aside to pay for an emergency C-section if needed. They can cost up to $1000 due to the fact they usually give birth at night and so you would have to take her to an emergency vet and pay extra for an after hours call.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in