unexpected hedgie babies! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation unexpected hedgie babies!

So i got a hedgehog for my 17th birthday about three weeks ago from a big petstore called pj's pets, for the past three weeks i've wondered why my hedgie is always so grumpy. i went to pick her up today, and with the shavings i picked her up in i found three or four little baby hedge hogs!! (i'm unsure because i was in a rush to get them back into place without being harmed) all of them have spines already, so im guessing they were born last night. i'm just concerned about how i picked them up and how the mom might be stressed out.

i took her wheel out of the cage and placed the food and water bowls closer to the hedgie igloo, and put a blanket over half the cage and i was just wondering what else i have to do and what to expect for the next few weeks! as nervous as i am, i'm excited to be a hedgehog grandmother! tell me everything and anything i need to watch out for, do, and don't do!
cheyannevanveen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: unexpected hedgie babies!

I'm not a breeder, but there's some basics that I can give you until a breeder sees this.

First, don't disturb mom, babies, or the cage any further. Good for taking the wheel out, though! For now, just leave them alone and only go near her cage to change the food/water once a day. Make sure the room her cage in stays as quiet as possible. You'll want to do this for at least the first two weeks - that's the main danger zone for mama attacking or killing the babies out of stress. Also don't change any of the cage bedding or clean the cage - you won't be able to clean the cage fully until the babies are weaned.

Other than that, just hang tight and try to resist the urge to peek! I'm sure one of our experienced breeders will be by with more info for you.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't suggest putting the food and water too close to the igloo. You can pretty much leave them in their normal place - she'll come out to eat and drink. Babies sometimes wander from the nest, and I know a breeder who recently lost a baby who drowned in the mama's water bowl. It's not a common thing, but I wouldn't place the water right at the entrance to her igloo, just in case.

You can help her by adding some kitten food to her diet. Royal Canin Babycat is the best choice, because it's also is a great food for babies to start on when they're ready to try it, but really any kitten food will give the mama the extra fat she'll need while nursing. Don't switch her cold turkey to it, but you should be fine giving her half and half right now.

Other than that, what Lilysmommy said - just avoid the cage and leave her completely alone for two weeks.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

alright thank you guys! ive been tempted to peek so badly haha. i have to switch her food soon too. but thank you!
cheyannevanveen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in