Placing male on females cage - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Placing male on females cage

Hello everyone. I have a question about this... I've read almost everywhere that when mating the female must be placen on the male's room... However I'd like to know why is this necessary. I read on one site that the female could kill the male is he is at her territory... Is that true?

I placed my male hedgehog on my female's room because it is bigger. He started to squeak and she ran away, even pulled him away with her head but I could see they were mating 2 times at least, and she was just calmed down by then.

However I've also read you should place them together for a week... Should I do it even when I'm not home? I'm scared she could harm him when I can't see. He's way smaller than her...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Placing male on females cage

I've done it both ways, male to females cage, or female to males. A more aggressive female, I'll put her into the males cage. A timid girl, I'll put him into her cage.

I always watched my pairs for the first few hours to make sure they were not fighting. I also have a camera on them so I can watch what they are doing from the tv.

I usually only kept them together for 2 or 3 days especially if I saw them or there was evidence of them mating.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
I've done it both ways, male to females cage, or female to males. A more aggressive female, I'll put her into the males cage. A timid girl, I'll put him into her cage.

I always watched my pairs for the first few hours to make sure they were not fighting. I also have a camera on them so I can watch what they are doing from the tv.

I usually only kept them together for 2 or 3 days especially if I saw them or there was evidence of them mating.
Thank you for your answer. I'll keep an eye on them for some hours tomorrow then.

I've got another question: how should the female behave after mating? I removed the male from her room and she's starting to scratch the box where she sleeps and when I tried to carry her she was especially defensive. Is that normal?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Different breeders use different periods of time, usually it's 3-5. I think 7 is more than necessary. For one thing, keeping them together for a week would mean that the due date could fall within a range of a week, starting 35 days from the first day they're together. Our mentor does 3 days, and that's what we did for our first breeding. It's long enough to make sure they mate at least several times, and short enough so that the due date can be fairly specific. I would only keep them together longer if there was reason to think they would need more time - a lack of evidence of them "doing the deed" so to speak. (Besides seeing it happen, some indicators would be small cuts on the male's front paws, throat/chest, or mouth - all which can happen from the female's quills, because of the position the male is in during mating.)

I know it's been done successfully other ways, but I would suggest putting them together in a separate enclosure rather than putting either of them into the other one's cage. That removes any territorial issues pretty well. (A decent-sized sterilite bin works great for that.) Bigger isn't necessarily better for this - it should be a reasonable size so they're not cramped in there, but you also don't want it to be a huge space because that makes it easier for the female to avoid the male. It's a good idea to only leave the bare minimum in the cage - food and water and that's it. You don't want any wheel or toys to distract them, or any places they can hide from each other. (We put shavings in the bin while they're in there together, so they can burrow into them to sleep but it's nothing substantial enough to be used to hide.) They should be together continuously for the 3 days (or however long you choose to go with). If there's going to be a problem with aggression, it'll happen pretty soon after they're put together - so you should monitor them when they're first together for a few hours, but after that it's fine to leave them alone while you're asleep or if you leave the house during the day, etc. After you separate them, they each go back into their own cage. It's a good idea to put a sticky-note on the female's cage, or record it somewhere else that's easy to locate, that has the dates they were together (start date through end date), to avoid any confusion about when the babies are expected.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you too for the answer! Then I won't worry too much, I left them for about an hour with no problem, but tomorrow I will try again more time and watch closely what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in