Help Help Help What do I do?!?!?!?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help Help Help What do I do?!?!?!?!

I need some serious urgent help. My dad brought home a hedgehog a couple of days ago from the shelter that they were going to put down (I might have told him how cute I think they are and he has a really big heart). So I've kinda been letting her get used to everything before messing with her to much...plus I wanted to read about hedgehogs. So I got her cage arranged, got toys, just got some liners done up, got her used to meal-worms and got her to wear she wakes up and comes over looking for them. Well last night she acted normal other than staying on the top level after playing on her wheel. Well tonight I was going to pick her up and have her out for a little while, give her some meal-worms, then put her in the bottom level of her cage. To my surprise she has BABIES. What do I do?????? I was not prepared for this. I need some advice, knowledge, support, anything.
Tiggerr888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Help Help Help What do I do?!?!?!?!

Oh dear...One of the most nerve-wracking surprises you can get with a new female hedgie! I'm not a breeder in any way, but I do know the basics -

First, take a deep breath.

Second, take her wheel out of her cage. Could you maybe post a picture of your cage? You said there's a top level. Do you have the top level and the ramp all enclosed so she can't fall? I'm not sure about having a mama in a two-level cage, I don't recall seeing anything on this before. If she stayed on one level after playing with her wheel, I'd personally block off the top level and keep her in one level so she stays with the babies. But WAIT until a breeder weighs on this.

Third...Leave her alone. You want to keep the cage as quiet as possible. Make sure everyone stays away from the cage, and preferably out of the room that the cage is in. Do not disturb the cage at all other than to change food and water once a day. Don't handle her or the babies. You'll want to leave them alone at least for 2 weeks (unless you notice something is wrong with the mother, but that requires more advice from an experienced breeder or a vet). Also make sure you do not clean the cage or anything.

I'm sure a breeder will come along soon and post as well, just wanted to give you something to get started with. Surprise babies are a scary thing, but if it makes you feel any better...It sounds like she's in MUCH better hands with you than the shelter, even besides the fact that they were going to put her down. I'm so glad you found the forums and that you're asking for advice. I hope everything turns out well with mama and babies!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

an admin should move this to breeding and babies help
does mom look to be okay? watch for signs of ditress like crying or pushing and no babies coming out if this happens she needs a vet. also if she appears fatgued she needs to see a vet immediatly. i would however contact you vet if you have one and make them aware and get na emergency number if you can.

try and read the hand feeding page it will be helpful if she rejects the babies.
1) dont disturb her, leave her completly alone for 2 weeks , meaning no peeking try to not even be in the same room if you can avoid it. she may not eat the first day or 2 but dont worry this is usually because shes cleaned up after the birth

2)the exception to disturbing her is once a day you can quiclky give her food and water,

3)try and add a bit of kitten food to her kibble for extra fat, and you can give her a bit of kitten milk replacer in a small dishe to help with milk production. royal canin baby cat is what most breeders use.

4) remove her wheel from the cage

5) dont clean the cage until the babies are weaned.

6) lilys mom is right if you can without much distruption block off any second levels

good luck with the babies
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Trying to take a deep breath....However I have pics of her cage, but the sight only allows under a certain size and I'm to stupid right now to figure out how to change the size. The cage is two stories (it's a ferret cage that I've tried modifying). The bottom section has pine bedding (I know it's not the best so theres a blanket on top of that) until I got the liners done....which I have done, but can't put in the cage now. There's also a plastic tube she can crawl up or hide in plus her food and water bowl. So that is the level she has been sleeping in. Then she goes up the little tube and there's a little shelf and she takes this ladder up to the second story (I know it's not the best set up but was planning on rearanging tomorrow when I had a day off and washing the cage)......So the second level she climbs out of the little hole and it has a couple of cat ball toys (which I need to get new ones cause I was reading last night that they should be solid) and it has her wheel. There's a couple of blankets up there over the plastic shelves (there aren't any loose strings again was going to put down the new liners tomorrow for her). So she's on that second shelf under the blanket with the babies (I don't know how many just saw the one and ran and got my dad who I'm staying with). So there's a hole there that I need to cover, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. Plus she is laying under the blanket next to the wheel so do I still remove it? Also I've just moved here so I'm staying with my parents for a couple of months and there is no room in the house where no one goes into. She's in my bedroom right now, but I sleep in there (I'm not in there during the day, but sometimes my cat is because one of there cats doesn't like mine and there cat just had babies). So do I keep her in that room? What about moving the cage into the closet (that kinda sounds mean though)? Oh and she looks okay but I'm not sure.....I've only had her since Friday and have only seen a wild hedgehog in New Zealand before this. She looked at me and kinda made that funny leave me alone noise that she does when she's covered up. There were one or two babies (it was a really quick look when I didn't realize their were babies in there). It looked like the baby babies might have been nursing...they were by her stomach?
So my big question for the night how do I block off the bottom level? She has an old towel do I just leave that (I'm so irritated that I didn't get those liners done before this)? There's nothing between the babies, her, and the plastic shelf is this okay? Do I remove the wheel even though she is right by it? Do I move her into the closet so she won't be disturbed as much? How warm should the room stay (at night I've been covering her cage with a tablecloth thing to keep her warmer since the a/c or windows are open) do I keep doing this? And if anyone can tell me how to make the pics smaller I'll post them
Thank you everyone
Mandy
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

So I'm not sure if this is right, but for now I closed the whole so she couldn't get to the bottom level of the cage. Otherwise I'd have nightmares about a baby falling and breaking it's neck Also until someone tells me if I should or shouldn't I'm leaving the wheel since it's so close to wear she's at that I'm afraid of making her mad The cage is usually covered by a tablecloth (it's not thick so light can still get in) so I'm leaving it that way since that's what she's used to. Also I'll have my dad show me how to get the file size on the pics down so someone can tell me how to fix the cage.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

It's best to see the cage before giving advice. You can email them to me and I can shrink and post. [email protected] I have a dental appointment this morning but will be home by noon. Or, if your dad can get them done sooner.

Most of all, remember to breathe.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Shavings Re the best with babies. Makes it easy for mom to keep them round up. Remove wheel block second level and leave blanket over shavings she prob had them underline it. I use a small blanket for moms to give birth under they love it and so do I works awsome I toss it away after or wash it really good. You will be fine. Did they say its age or any info on it.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorshogs
Shavings Re the best with babies. Makes it easy for mom to keep them round up. Remove wheel block second level and leave blanket over shavings she prob had them underline it. I use a small blanket for moms to give birth under they love it and so do I works awsome I toss it away after or wash it really good. You will be fine. Did they say its age or any info on it.
The shavings are on the first floor of the cage.....she's on the second level with no shavings. She's curled up under a towel so her and the babies are laying on the plastic.

My dad and brother got her from the shelter to cheer me up. They had her in a 10 gallon aquarium and we're going to put her down the next day. They had no information on her (they didn't even know if she was a boy or girl). So I picked out the name Sonic before I was able to look and see if she was a she or he. So I don't know her age, health history, where she came from, her old name, or what food she used to eat
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

if shes chosen to have them on the plastic then leave them where they are and dont worry to much, there more risk in moving them or changing something them in them being on the plastic.

what food is she on now? even if she was on somthing bad before you should put her on a high quality cat food, and add a kitten food until the babies are weaned for extra fat, as said before.

at this point all you can do is wait the 2 weeks and leave her to do her thing, If shes a good mom she will take care of them and if she rejects them you need to be prepared to either handfeed or let nature take its course.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Right now she's not on the best food (it's what my little brother bought for her that the pet store person recommended) it's called the goodlife recipe.

After reading on the forums last night everytime I heard a squeak from the cage I kept imagining that she was eating the baby or babies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonic cage.jpg (50.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg sonic the hedgehog 024.jpg (54.0 KB, 68 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in