Should Mommy stay in my room? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Should Mommy stay in my room?

My eldest hedgie Yue gave birth I think early this morning (they were totally clean and had little spikes). I was checking if she'd eaten cause she had been avoiding her food and when I lifted her sheets to say hi, there were the babies!

I have two hedgies, Yue and Tema, and both cages are both in my room. Both are females but the cages are far apart.

I was wondering if it won't be too stressful for Yue's cage to stay in my room. It's the warmest as it gets sun during the day, and the quietest. I live with my parents unfortunately, who are obnoxiously loud and doesn't care that their incessant noise may stress Yue out... But I am still in and out of my room every now and then, and I sleep here, but I don't listen to music or watch series or anything like that.

Also, I'm new to the hedgie thing, it was a complete surprise that she was pregnant. I keep hearing some occasional hissing and peeping from her cage. I'm scared she's eating them! Do I check? Do I stop her? Is it normal? I've only checked once and it was completely by accident. She didn't seem too stressed out when I saw her and she is very tame, she's never even raised a quill to me in her life. But should she be so hissy with her babies?!

I understand from my second visit to her former pet store that she was a breeding hedgie but she was sold to me cause she aborted her last batch of babies so they had deemed her useless from that point onward

If I could please get some advice it'd be much appreciated, thank you!
TheCuriaRegis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Read the section on surprise babies and that will help a lot to calm you down. If mom is used to being in your room then leave her there. Moving the cage is dangerous to the babies. You don't want any changes in or around the cag if you can help it. Anytime you change anything it causes stress for mom and that's not good for the babies. The best thing you can do is leave mom and babies alone and only go around the cage to feed and water her. If she does hurt the babies there isn't much you can do as hand raised newborns rarely survive. She will be more hissy as she getting used to having the babies there

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you!

I've also been reading around, since she hisses a little bit every time her babies squeak, it could just mean she wants me to get out, right? Should I move out of my room for two weeks until they're weaned?
TheCuriaRegis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

No you shouldn't have to move out of your room, she's just making sure you know to leave them alone. It's actually a good thing because it means she's being protective. Babies aren't weaned until they are 5-6 weeks old.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice, babies, mommy, pregnant, urgent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in