feed mom and baby separately? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default feed mom and baby separately?

I have sent a few messages recently because this is all very new to us. We purchased a hedgehog about a month ago and 5 days after we brought her home, she gave birth to 3 babies. We found out when we went to play with her and saw 3 little pink things lying next to her. We have left them all alone for 3 weeks and one baby has survived. Its eyes opened yesterday (we noticed when we fed Sydney--the mom) We can't wait till the baby ventures out of the nest on its own. I read that ground up kibble with a little water is a good starter food for baby but how do i feed it without Sydney eating the food? Or will she let the baby eat the food? Sydney usually eats at night and poos at night, so if they are housed together, then how do i know how much each is eating and pooing? We plan on keeping them in the same cage until the baby is about 7 weeks old.
Any advice?
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: feed mom and baby separately?

You can start giving mom and baby some ground up kibble, or I use Royal Canin Bat cat. It has very small pieces. In about a week you will see baby eating with mom at the food dish. If the baby is male, you will need to separate them before 7 weeks.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can i start putting food out now?
Today was VERY exciting...the baby stumbled out of the nest for the first time! Sydney looked on from inside the nest but didn't seem to be too concerned about us being there. We didn't touch the baby yet, but we can't wait!
Do i have to be careful about putting regular kibble out? Will the baby try to eat it and perhaps choke?
What about the wheel? When can i put it back in mom's cage?
How long can she go without any exercise? And after she weans the baby, do i start feeding her less? She eats a fair bit right now.
Thanks,
Sandra and Jess
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If the baby is 3 weeks old you can start to handle her now. Start slow. The first day, pick it up for about 30 seconds and put back. Increase the time tomorrow and the next day. Mom will probably huff at you but talk to her and tell her you are just looking at her pretty baby.

No wheel until baby has left the cage but you will be able to give them the wheel when you have mom and baby out for playtime.

If you have Royal Canin Baby Cat in the mix of food, baby will start eating it or the crumbs mom has dropped.

Keep feeding mom the same amount after the baby has left but lessen the amount of Baby Cat until she isn't getting any. Once you notice that she is consistently eating less, you can lessen the amount of kibble. Mom can have the wheel back as soon as baby leaves her cage. If baby is a girl and you are going to keep her, she can stay right with mom but you will need two wheels and should have two sleeping areas. Mom's go through a little period where they've had enough of daughter so two bed areas are necessary.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in